1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick a neck for a Sonic Blue Warmoth Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juggernaut, Mar 11, 2008.

Which Neck for sonic blue jazz?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2008.
  1. Rosewood//pearl

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Maple/Pearl

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Maple/Black

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. So I decided I wanted to build another warmoth jazz in a cool vintage color. I bought an alder sonic blue jazz body from the showcase and can't decide on a neck. Im no good with photo shop to mock them up. I want block inlays but I cant decide on the wood/color combo, Rosewood/Pearl, Maple/Pearl or Maple/Black Planning a pearl pickguard, and chrome hardware. Cast your votes.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pearl blocks on maple all the way for me; only the price of the bound & pearl block necks keeps me from ordering one.

3. pearl blocks on maple is so friggen sexy on ANY color finish

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Rosewood and dots w/white pg for sonic blue.

5. Pearl blocks on maple are sexy, but are difficult to see on a dark stage. I'd go rosewood w/ pearl blocks (if you're intent on having blocks).

6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I saw one of those Sonic Blue painted bodies in the Showcase a while back; very pretty. Congrats on your purchase. But you haven't shown images of the body in this thread, so I can't vote because I don't know what pickup spacing your body has.

Measure the distance between the center of the pickup routs. If it's 3.6", that's 60s spacing, and I'd use rosewood/pearloid. If the distance is 4" (give or take a millimeter), you have 70s spacing, and any of the fingerboard/inlay combinations will work. It's probably 60s spacing; I've seen only one or two Jazz bodies in the Showcase that had 70s spacing.

Of course, you can use any neck you want -it's your bass- but historically, the rosewood/pearloid was used on Jazz basses from 1967 to the early 80s or so. OTOH, the maple boards with blocks and binding were not used until sometime in the early 70s, and by then the bridge pickup had been moved about 1/2" closer to the bridge. Your body has a poly finish, which began around 1968. I'd combine that with the likely 60s spacing and a rosewood board to get a reasonable approximation of a '68 or '69 Jazz.