1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick a new 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gitfiddl, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Peavey PVH410

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Fender Rumble 410

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. So SWMBO has given me her blessing and a $400-500 range to purchase a BRAND NEW CAB! It seems she's tired of me puttering and tinkering and seeing raw drivers on the dining room table. So I'm looking for something readily available around town and my choices have been boiled down to the Peavey PVH410 or the Fender Rumble 410. I've never played through either. My personal allegiances lie with the Peavey, but there seems to be a large Rumble contingent here and I was wondering how the Rumble cabs sans amp stood alongside other like priced cabs. The other cabs in that price range just seen to be obvious lower end stuff. What say you and why?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Great time for your thread to show up. Check out: Rethinking 4x10s

Won't help you decide but may help get the most out of whatever you pickup.

voided3 and BadExample like this.
  3. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    What amp are you running? I don’t have direct experience with either cab, but I owned a pair of the Rumble v3 2x10 cabs with the same drivers and they served me well.

Based on specs, the Rumble is the lighter, slightly more compact choice. The Peavey may handle a little more power (they say 1200 program, so 600 watts “continuous”), but both are 8 ohm cabs good for about 500 watts so unless you’re running a bridged PA power amp or huge lead sled, you’ll be fine with either from a power perspective, most likely. Both are plywood, which is always good. The Rumble comes with casters, and didn’t see those mentioned for the Peavey, though for a 4x10 I’d use a cart or hand truck to move it, anyway.

4. shoot-r and Lobster11 like this.
  5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Before you make a final cabinet choice I'd recommend your checking into Avatar bass cabinets.
    And, I agree with "Downunderwonder", two, 210 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 will surpass a standard configured 410 cabinet in many ways.
    Better mids dispersion across the stage, better projection, less phase problems, gets the top driver up nearer your ears, you can use one 210 cabinet for small gigs/rehearsals, both 210 cabinets when more coverage and volume is needed.
    Down side of going with two 210's over a standard 410, slightly higher cost.
    I ran two Avatar Neo 210 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 for many, many years....GREAT set-up!

www.avatarspeakers.com

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    Avatar make a good 210 with great midrange detail. (I have several ) Ashdown make a Rootmaster 410 that you might like. It is about $400.

7. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    You'll get a lot more for your money and have a lot more options if you go used. You can get Genz Benz XB series cabs for crazy cheap, and that would be like having 2 of either of the ones you mentioned. SWR is also a good choice for crazy cheap 4x10s.