Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me pick a new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GetLow, Jun 1, 2005.

1. i currently have a peavey 410tvx cab (350 watts @ 4 ohms). as of now, i am powering it with my tnt115 combo... it puts out 200 watts at 2 ohms. i would like to get a new head so i can bring my 410 to college and leave my combo at home.

my funds are limited to about $400 (like i said, i'm a college student). i was thinking about picking up an ashdown mag 300h (300 watts @ 4ohms) or a GK 400rb-III (240 watts @ 4ohms). i play mostly rock, some blues and a little jazz.

would these be under-powering the cab?

currently i am not playing with a band.... maybe shortly. i play an american hot-rodded p bass.

i would like to hear any and all opinions.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    buy something used that has more power. (if you can)

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    +1 on more power.

I would try to save a bit more and get more power so you can have a rig that will give you enough power in a band if you decide to join one. 300 watts is really the bare minimum I believe in a band setting.

I was using a 300 watt amp for the past month or so before my new Sunn came in the mail today and it BARELY kept up and I had to push it into distortion just to be able to feel it let alone hear it over two half stacks. With this 1200 watt monster I have I can push my cab with enough clean power to easily be heard.

Maybe look into a Kustom Groovebass which is around 500-600. That should give you all the power you will ever need.

4. thanks a lot. i had never thought of kustom throughout my searching. i appreciate it. now i just have to track one down locally to play through it.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

$500 will get you a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 (watts) new! AWESOME head. Nothing new comes close for $500!

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

if you look on Musiciansfriend.com many of the reviews of the 410 TVX cabinet are from guys using Peavey amplification, and they appear to be very pleased with the results.

I use an Ampeg SVT3 Pro / 115 BVX BW but my back-up head is a Peavey Nitrobass that i got on Evilbay for only $150!! and it's in great shape, works perfect.

Bassplayer has a very positive review of the Max450 / 410TVX combo on their website in the archives.

The Nitrobass or Firebass (new Max 450 and Max700) are very worthy of your consideration. The Max 450 fits in your budget too. If you decide to get another 4 ohm cab, the Nitrobass / Max450 is stable down to 2 ohms giving you 450 reliable watts to work with.

7. Ive seen peavey Firebasses (old name for Max700) looking brand new for $300 on the US ebay, and its a good setup ( i recently upgraded the head, but still use the firebass too)

I dont think you'll be disappointed if you are happy with the sound of the combo you will love the sound of the head :)