1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick a new lightweight cab for my amp or what is your favorite cab for Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Hi All,

I have an incoming new amp from a fellow TBer.
    The amp in question is a Mesa Walkabout head, it's one of the newer units with the switch.
    As a side note I think this amp may be a good compromise between small and light and still a mid grade amp construction wise.

I want a 4 ohm cab and a small cab at that so lets say nothing bigger than a 1x12.

Some of the cabs I am thinking about are the:

Mesa Subway 1x12 (only available in 8 ohms?) Are these available 4 ohms?

Genzler Magelin 112T (only available in 8 ohms?) Are these available 4 ohms?

Schroeder Mini 8+L 4 ohm

AudioKinesis 4 ohm (an extra plus as a local TBer has one for sell)

Anyone played the Walkabout with one of these?
    Any other suggestions?

I should mention I play 5 string bass and my budget would be $600.00 or less, used or new.

2. Why not try the cab that amp was made to drop into- the Scout 12"?

3. A super duper 4ohm 112 that handles a proper 300w all by itself. Probably not going to be all that efficient.

I would be going for 8ohm and stacking two when needed. Modular rocks.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, a friend's Walkabout with his Thunderchild TC112. It's a beautiful match for moderate volume situations IMHO, although in my experience the amp will run out of gas well before the speaker does. We confirmed that by using one of my more powerful/higher headroom amps side by side with the Walkabout.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.

Well the amp came in today and I must say I am absolutely astonished. After reading many numerous complaints about how these amps run out of steam too soon and they wish Mesa would make a higher wattage version of this amp, I'm just totally taken aback by how loud this amp is with a 4 ohm 2x12 Cab. It is really good sounding too. :bassist:

So I thinks I need to get my hands on that Thundechild 112 Local to me.

That being said the little Mini8+L would be nice if it sounded good. Anyone ever try one of these 8" cabs?

MesaWalkabout_zpslcwinwfr.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016