Help me pick a new toy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToddZilla, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Need an assist from the TB community on this one, as I am in Iraq until next month. I've decided to get myself a new bass as my own personal homecoming present (what else could be better right? :) But on to the point, I've been looking at basscentral's used inventory and have it narrowed down more or less to 3 basses.

1. Warick corvette fna jazzman (ovangkol neck/wenge fb, flame maple over swamp ash)

2. Elrick bolt on 4 Evolution (quilted maple over swamp ash, maple neck/bubinga fb)

3. Modulus VJ

I am in love with the look of all 3, but I could sure use some input on the tone of each...and any other pros/cons you guys can come up with.

Thanks for any help
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I woudl go with the Elrick, but that is purely personal preference. Despite having heard all three numerous times, I can't seem to put my finger on a worthwhile description of teh toen differences. The warwick is more growly whereas the Elrick and Modulus would have a bit more zing. I think if you like your high end stuff the mod or elrick would be great. They both have wicked slap tones too, but I think the Elrick sounds a bit classier. Don't ask what that means... haha.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with the Elrick as well.
  4. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Well that's 2 votes for the Elrick. I've emailed basscentral about it, with a few questions. Mainly trying to find out what tone I can expect from it. Given the combination of woods I would expect it to be pretty bright, but I hear the bart's have a darker (would that be the right word?) aspect to them. Just a hard call to order something that I won't see for almost a month, but I have a feeling it won't be for sale in that amount of time.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Barts do have a darker, woodier tone with a slightly muted high end. The combo of bright woods with barts usually provides a nice tone, somewhere inbetween dark and bright. Generally very smooth.
  6. Well, personally I would go for the Warwick- it's got a "modern" tone because of the preamp and the massive humbucker, but its got a hell of a lot of growl.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Are you buying sight unseen or will you get a chance to audition them?

I'd also go with the Elrick, but that's just because weight and comfort are a big consideration with me. The downside with the Elrick (I'm assuming it's satin finished) is that it's fragile. If you play out a lot, the Modulus VJ probably is more road-worthy.

IME, Warwicks tend to be inconsistent in terms of build quality, fit and finish. They're also heavy.
  8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I vote for the Modulus VJ. Get it in a Deluxe model with a top of your choice, finish of your choice. I would go with Villex J pickups, and ask them to add the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, then you'll use the Villex mid control and the Aggie 2-band. An active passive switch would be cool too, and so would the wood fingerboard on a graphite neck with a satin finish.....
  9. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Well as I'm currently positioned just outside of Fallujah this bass will be bought sight unseen. I've played some Warwicks that I loved, and a few that just felt wrong...but I'm at least considering it in hopes that basscentral will work with me if it's not right (keep in mind I won't be home for a month or so)

There's something about that Elrick that really has my GASing, and well, the top on the Mod is an insane quilt....ahh to have both.....

Here's another one....should I wait it out and see what comes up between now and april, or just go for it and have a nice bass waiting at home?? hmmm now theres a question :eyebrow:
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The Modulus is a great bass especially if you are looking for a jazz bass feel. The neck is more comfortable IME than the Warwick. Probably one of the most comfortable I have ever owned. The Elrick is a good instrument, but always left me wanting for something more.

They are well made instruments but I could probably never own one and be OK.

In regards to waiting... what are you REALLY wanting out of the bass? Tonewise, it seems like you are looking for a jazz style bass. Basscentral is a great dealer to work with. I actually bought my VJ from them a few years ago. They have alot to offer from a knowledge and product standpoint.

Since you haven't played any of the three, I would probably wait until you can get a better feel for each instrument and with what you're spending there are many options
  11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're coming back to America, and you have a great new bass waiting for you, how can you go wrong??? :D :D

I haven't played an Elrick, but I sure have GAS for a Modulus some day. I'm a really big fan of carbon-fiber in the neck. It's just so nice not to have to worry about temp changes, humidity, etc. My Steinberger is ALWAYS ready for action, no matter what, and I NEVER have had to have it set up in the 17 years I've owned it.

That being said, I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of whatever you get. Let us know what your final decision is, and STAY SAFE so you can enjoy your new bass! :) :)