Help Me Pick A P-Bass Colour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ok guys (and gals). Give it a week or two and Ill be ordering a Fender USA Precision!!!! :hyper: :bassist:

It my first 'big guys' bass, having started off with a Squier P (hence my love for them) and now playing an Ibanez SRX500. Its a great bass, but theres something about Fender P's . . .

So my question to you, what colour?

Sky Blue? (too 'girly?')
    Chrome Red?
    Black? (nope, dont like Fender's shiny black, prefer matte)
    2 Colour Sunburst
    3 Colour Sunburst
    Sunset Orange Transparent?

This will be with a maple neck and most probably a black guard. I would like either natural or even aged natural, but theyve stopped making P's in natural and never did in aged. :(

Fender owners, P-Bass (any make) owners, or random guys saying 'I like the red', your opinions welcome!

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd go with the matte black if we can only choose form the ones you listed. But, if it were mine, I'd go with Fender's classic: Olympic white. Oh Yeah!
  3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Buterscotch blonde
  4. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    2 Colour Sunburst or Sunset Orange Transparent

be original (and bold) and do the orange!
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    same here!
  6. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    ...still wouldn't be a purdy as your Oly White Benavente! ;)
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If not black (which you already said no to) then get a 3 tone sunburst, and put a tortise shell pickgaurd on it.
  8. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say 3 tone sunburst or transparent orange
    but you know transparent orange would make your body ash not alder.
  9. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Unfortunatly, those are the only options open to me, at the moment. Im hoping to wangle (yes, I said 'wangle') the shop into getting the full colour scheme.

I didnt do a very good job of wording it, but Fender dont do matte black, and I dont like the shiny black.

1. As much as I want the orange, but the ash body concerns me, if I loose the thump, it aint a P :scowl:

2. ATM stuck between red and 3 tone burst.

Thanks for the quick replies! Keep em coming, especially opinions on the ash body please!

10. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    We all describe tonality in our own way, so your 'thump' may be different than mine. That said, I have had a couple of US P-Basses in ash and a few in alder and they both had plenty of 'thump' and classic p-bass tone. Depending on your definition of thump the ash shouldn't be void of thump. All of the transparent Stingrays are made with ash bodies and the Stingray is very 'thumpy' in my book. One player's thump is another's ?? :confused:
  11. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hey, if it sounds like a p-bass (and youve just said it does) then it looks like I am settled on transparent orange.

You think you could describe the way it differs from an alder one, despite the obvious differences in the way we hear things? That would be great!
  12. I like the transparent orange. MIA P-Basses with maple fretboards are sweet basses.

13. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Orange or

Natural/pearloid or

14. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Unfortunatly for me, no new Naturals.

And I dont want to buy used, theres something not right about playing somebody elses bass. :)
  15. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Since this is a bit off the track from the "which colour" debate of this thread, I'll try not to blather on and on, yet I managed a Fender dealership for 5 years in the mid 90s and was an Authorized repair tech with both Fender and Gibson so needless to say I've had my hands on 100s of Fender Ps and Js over the years.

Keep in mind that with production Fenders over the last 15 years or so (the Bill Shultz era) the variances from instrument to instrument can be miniscule or great. Several times I would take two basses from the same order and production month with the same body, neck, and fretboard woods and find large variances within two "identical" instruments. This is true of any large manufacturer. So keep in mind that trying before you buy is ideal.

So in spite of the variances from instrument to instrument, in GENERAL terms the difference between alder and ash bodied P-Basses to my ears is that alder tends to have more present mids while ash has a 'fuller bodied' tone. Keep in mind that these differences are slight and minor eq-ing can neutralize most of the tonal variances. It's all subjective and the best bet is to get your hands on some instruments before you try. It sounds like you will have to special order? in which case, the stock Fenders are generally a safe bet and glaring problems can be addressed by a good dealer. Fender always worked to keep our shop's customers happy. I hope this helps.
  16. Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    Why dont you take white one?
    whith a black pickward must be cool, and if you put a leather one... :D

Actually the bass player fron the spanish heavy metal band Obus had one like that :bassist: It really rocks
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Go for black. I love black P-basses. If you don't bother to clean the sweat and dirt off it'll become matte in no time.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

19. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    sunset orange with a white or black pickguard