Help me pick an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I play Blues and Jazz.

Bass is a Fender P with flatwound strings

I play in small clubs normally and send a line out to the PA on those rare occasions I have to play a large room or out doors.

I love the bass sounds you hear on old 50s 60s blues albums.

I am dirt poor! I "might" be able to scrape up $500

Now from a lot of reading I know many of the old blues men were using Ampeg B15s, but I also know that the B15 sold now days is not the same amp as what it was back then. I have read as many reviews as I can about the newer B15 combos and and have seen mixed reviews. Many seem to think the amp is simply not loud enough to really gig with even in average size bars.

Thru this board I have learned of Ashdown amps as well. Great price. Loud as heck. This amp as my interest but sadly no store in my area has one so I can't try one out.

You guys that have Ashdown's, how would you describe the tone? The Electric Blue 180-15 especially looks good to me.

Im open for other options as well. I just need something that works well for Blues n Jazz and is powerful enough for small to med size rooms.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If the Ampeg B15 was your thing, I would say go for an Ampeg B100R combo. You can get those from Musicians friend for $499.00

Not only is the new B15 different from the old one (since the new ones can run at 60 or 100 watts)it costs about $1800.00 new.

Good luck in your search.