1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick bass rig to fit into subcompact car, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralph124C41, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:32 PM.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41

Sep 20, 2012
    OK, here's my weird story. I just gave up on my old Cadillac and I bought a TINY Chevrolet Cobalt 2-door coupe. Yes, no hatchback and the trunk opening is actually not very big although it is long.

Here's my problem. I've been doing some fill-ins and jamming with one or both of my combos, a TC Electronic BG250 (15-inch and a tweeter) and my Hartke 10-inch Tiltback (120 watts). I used to use an old Gallien-Kruger Backline rig with a RB 600 and the Backline 4x10 and 1X15 cabs. They have been in storage and have not been used in at least two years.

I think the band wants me to use more powerful rig. The thing is: I am certain I can't get those big, heavy cabs into my car ... maybe one of the cabs, but frankly I doubt it. Everything else fits, including the RB600 head.

I used to own a second BG250 which I ran either with my other BG250 or I have used my ancient DigiTech BP8 (with a tube preamp!) to split the signal into lows and highs. I have also used the BG250 with the Hartke and I liked the sound, especially the highs from the aluminum speaker in the Tiltback. It was like a mini-rig with a tweeter, 10-inch and 15-inch combo.

So thoughts? As always money is an issue and I'd like to take advantage of what I already have available.

2. Something has to give.

3. Sorry you bought the wrong car. Bring your gear to the dealership and start stuffing until you find the right car for your rig.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Did you get a cheap lease on the Cobalt?

If there is no other option, I suggest removing the passenger seat.

5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

SmallGuitars.com MB-1 24" scale P-bass style that sounds just like a full size, and a Carvin MB15 amp.

6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Hey it can be done. I get a Bergantino cn112, th500 plus gig bag, music stand, mic stand and either a P bass or my EUB in my Miata. For practices I usually bring a barefaced one 10. There are a lot of really good powerful small cabs but they are more expensive

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41

Sep 20, 2012
    Sorry, folks, the car is the car is the car. I didn't think about its storage capacity because, as I said, I haven't had to use my rig for a long time.

Jthisdell, all that in a Miata? I used to own one and I could barely fit myself into it.

I do like my little Hartke, which was discontinued years ago. I can detach the speaker cord and use it as a head ... but it's only 120 watts. However, for years and years I gigged with a 100-watt combo amp. At a couple of places that needed more volume I gambled on using a volume booster because the speaker was rated at peak 150 watts. Nothing happened to the amp ... except it would sometimes get up and "walk" across the stage so I had to put heavy weights (me!) on it to prevent it from falling into the audience. Good times. Good cheap times.

Maybe I could find a 4-ohm speaker cab and pair that with my RB600. Still that's only 300 watts and my BG250 has 250 watts. Or I could probably squeeze two 8-ohm 2x10 cabs in my car.

I'm not opposed to having the passenger seat removed as Stumbo suggested.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. Lgangi426

Lgangi426 Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Danvers, MA
    TC rs210 cab. I use this with my TC RH750 head and have plenty of power... and it fits in my civic

G RICH 5, Krakmann and FunkyD like this.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

12" cube style cabs fit in any car really, even 2 of them if needed. Add the micro amp of your choice and you're good.

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41

Sep 20, 2012
    I will have to get my stuff out of storage and measure my car to see what will work but I think all of these are workable suggestions.

Oh, I should have pointed out that this is only a tryout for a band ... so there is no rush for me to buy equipment.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You voted for a sexy car now you need a sexy rig.

AztecViking and climber like this.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41

Sep 20, 2012
    I'd hardly call the Cobalt a "sexy" car.

Loring, RaggaDruida, Inara and 4 others like this.
  13. AngelsBassBall

AngelsBassBall Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2011
    North Carolina
    Trailer hitch and lightweight utility trailer? Then you can take your full rig and have power to spare.

Or a trailer hitch and hitch mounted utility rack?

Google Shopping - Product not found

guitarflinger, Oddly and Aaron Mc like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Mesa Subway D800 head. Tiny. Weighs nothing. Sounds huge.

Barefaced One 10 cabinets. Two of them. Ditto on the tiny and sounds huge. They will mate will with the Mesa because of the high pass filter that's built in to the amp and make the One 10's bigger and clearer sounding, without overdriving them.

15. Here's mine, Little Mark 3, and a 2 10 Traynor NEO Cabinet, the bass changes from time to time. That's it and this entire package sounds huge and clear as a bell. The amp and cab weigh about 48lbs, the bass in the case about 10 :)

Thumb n Fingers and G RICH 5 like this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    How about a pair of markbass 12" cabs? They're light and small but can handle a ton of juice. You can run em off you existing head.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...3477242-sku^600920000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

EDIT: I just noticed your money is always an issue line. I like my markbass combo but they are not cheap. You can find the cabs used but still a little pricey. If you have a kickback you like why not just run a DI to the front of house sound for more support? You can dial a touch into the monitor mix of the band has a hard time hearing the bass.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I fit a Eden 2x10 on the passenger seat of a 2 door Accord.
    It does not fit in the trunk.

18. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Both these rigs plus two basses fit in a 2003 Touota Prius.

It can be done with the right gear/car and you don't have to compromise much.

Plus I get 50 mpg... ;)

image. image.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  19. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I used to fit an Ampeg 810 into the backseat of a Ford Focus. If there's a will, there's a way.

20. Hartke is coming out with a 2-10" HD500 next month that my bro' is determined to get. It only weighs 38 lbs and is 20.5” x 19.5” x 12”. He's been playing around with the Fender Rumble 500 which is similar to the Hartke and he says it kicks major booty, but is gonna wait on the Hartke. Here's the link:
    SamsonTech

Wesley R likes this.