Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick cabs for my TFB-420

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I recently (like this week) picked up a Thunderfunk TFB-420. This is going to be my back-up head, until I can find some cabs to compliment it. At rehersal tonight, I played it through my EBS NEO 1x12 (yeah, the only cab I own ATM). The EBS didn't really like the TFB. It sounded pretty harsh, and the lows kinda rattled the cabinet a little.

So, I'm looking for something protable, I drive a sedan! My neo fits in the trunk...heh. Anyway, I play small/medium sized gigs, almost always in a church, almost always without PA support. I do rock, funk, jazz. I'm looking for a pleasing tone, not overly harsh or in-your-face. I want deep and growly. My main bass in an MTD 535. Not too many choices in my local area, so I'll have to do the buy and try thing, making sure I have a decent trial period.

I've heard some good things about Bag End, but I don't know much about these cabs.

2. I use a stack of Bergantino EX-112/Ht-112 cabs. Small, light, and sounds fantastic with the 'funk. You should definately check them out. Together they make the ultimate portable rig.

3. The TF sounds great with most cabs I've tried it through. The Bergs are a good choice. If you want to stay light and still relatively small, the Epi310UL sounds GREAT with the TF. It's 5.3 ohms (at least I think it still is), so it will allow the TF to use most of its rated power. I also very much like the TF through the Schroeder 1210.. but it's a much different and more colored sound... with that strong low mid punch... very nice also. The Epi210UL is great also, and you can get it in 4ohms to perfectly match the TF... however, it's just a little less expensive than the 310UL and not that much smaller or lighter.

I know Dave recommends the Accugroove stuff for his heads also. I would think the Tri112 would be great. The Accugroove 210 supposedly sounds great... but man is that a big, heavy 210... I'd probably just up to the Jr before I'd do that.

Lot's of great choices!

Edit: I also use an MTD535 on occasion.... the TF is a GREAT match for that bass.... as you know, the MTD's can get a little 'wide' sounding, especially if you have a wenge neck. I found that the combination of the MTD and the EBS heads was a little too much sizzle even for me... and I love the sizzle! The TF seems to be voiced just perfectly to tighten up that huge MTD low end, and soften the very aggressive treble response just a touch.... I think you will dig it with any high quality cab :)

4. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My MTD is not like the "average" MTD. Mine is maple/ebony neck, mahogany body. It doesn't have a huge (or even big, really) low end. It also doesn't have that top end sizzle like the wenge necked ones. I used to have a wenge necked/tulipwood body MTD 535, and this thing sounds completely different (not better or worse, but just different). I'd say that my bass is more subtle. Through the TFB-420 flat + EBS cab, my bass sounds very midrange and high-midrange heavy, with not very much bottom. This makes the E and B strings sound weak, and the D and G strings scream. I about killed our singer when I switched from finger style to slap, the volume change on the pops was crazy :) I don't play slap much anyway..heheh. I must be used to the compressor on the EBS head I have.

The EBS, I manage to get pleasing tones by completely rolling off the bright, and using the character switch. A little bump in the bass, and I think that is about it. I also probably boost the bass control on the MTD as well. The EBS head + cab sound pretty good really, but it get iffy when I try to get loud enough to compete with the drummer on stage. With the new rig I'm looking to fill the house (sanctuary) or support the PA slightly (if we have one available).....while still being able to fit it in my sedan.

5. With that sound profile coming out of the bass, it sounds like the Epifani210 or 310 might be the ticket then.... they are bright with lot's of upper mid definition and plenty of bottom. I'm sure other's will comment regarding the Berg's, which I've only played a couple of times.

6. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I like portable, and I find my two Aggie GS112 to be both easy yo carry and great-sounding.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

neither the UL310 nor the UL210 will fit your trunk. they're a bit big and bulky, and literally take up a whole side of my honda accord's backseat.

IMHO, a simple UL112 should suit your needs, and yes, it'll fit your trunk. ;) also, while i'm not a 12" speaker kinda guy at all, the UL112 was one of the more cutting and punchier 12" loaded cabs i've ever used. very impressed with it.

[commercial vox on]

also, if you're not in any rush, the "Jive Sound" shop just got off the ground, and jong currently carries Schroeder cabs, but in a few weeks he'll a few EA, Accugroove, and Aguilar cabs for you to try in the NoVA area.

[commercial vox off]

8. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Oh sweet, I didn't know Jong was setting up a shop. How cool...

Cabs don't have to fit in my trunk, they just have to fit in my car. I also drive an accord sedan, so backseat is fine. I just have to be able to get them in the door :)

I went to the EBS for portability and weight. However, if I have to compromise on weight to get tone, that's fine. I'll buy a hand-truck or something.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The TF with the Schroeder 1210 should get plenty deep and growly.

There are a few bass players here on TB that use that set up.
    You might want to do a search for "1210 Thunderfunk" or "Schroeder Thunderfunk".

Very portable, sounds great in the mix in almost any venue, and can REALLY pump out the volume for its size.

10. +1 in general.... just a little concerned with the tone profile of that particular MTD thrown into the Schroeder/TF mix, especially since the starter of the thread is coming from sizzly EBS land.... maybe... another of my broken record comments (sorry), that brighter tweeter option might do the trick... i.e., help the very upper mid and high end 'softness' of the MTD he describes.

11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm finding schroeder cabs interesting. I wonder if the TFB is powerful enough to drive one 8 ohm 1012 or 1212. I dunno if I would rather get the 8ohm or 4ohm, never know if I want to add another cab. As you know, the TFB only goes down to 4ohm

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You should talk to Jorg Schroeder.

He's very cool and helpful.

13. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've had the Berg HT/EX setup, and for about the same money I really prefer the Epi UL112/UL110 setup. It's lighter and sounds much bigger, without the heavy midrange emphasis of the Bergs. The UL112 is a very viable stand alone cab on it's own, which I don't feel the Bergs HT is for electric. The Bag End 1x15 coax cab is a great, compact cab and can be had fairly cheap. It's very full range and doesn't sound flabby at all. The Schroeder is probably a good call as well. I know Brad Johnson runs his T-Funk with a Bag End 1x15 (I think) and seems to dig it. LDS also might have something for you.

15. +1, especially considering the tone profile of the MTD he described. I hear that the Berg stack sounds great, but I wouldn't call two 50+ pound cabs 'small and light'! Also, from the BP review, and even from the description on the Berg site, it doesn't sound like that 210 would be that great as a single cab (the deep Berg210 is another story... that cab sounds great!)

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ken, you're right....the Bergs are very diminutive cabs, but after getting the Epi UL's they feel pretty darned heavy. They're about 38lbs. a piece, which doesn't sound like much...but it's a big difference from the 30lb. UL112 and 22lb. UL110. I really can't stress how much I prefer the UL's for electric. However, if we're talking DB it's the other way around.

17. Hello W! I took a look at those small Berg's with interest a while back... the Berg site lists the 210 at 55 pounds and the 112 at 48 pounds... which puts that 'small' rig at over 100 pounds! If they are actually under 40 pounds each, that seems a little more reasonable. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong cabs... I was thinking it was the 'skinny' versions of the 210 and 112 meant to be a 'stack'.

Edit.... OK.... I see now... it's two 112 cabs.... sorry everyone... I thought it was the other 'mini stack'

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You need a schroeder 1212. TFB will drive it no problem. The 8 ohm vs 4 ohm effecting your amp power really is not all the dang noticable in my personal experience.

I'm driving a schroeder 1210 with my 420, so is KJung (i believe we're both 4 ohm, but see previous). It's *awesome.*

19. +1.... just depends on the sound you want.... 1210 and Epi310UL not much different in price (Epi maybe $150 more discounted), almost identical weight (around 48 pounds)... the Epi is larger (I actually find that a positive, since it's tall enough to easy push using removable castors with your head on top... the 1210 is so small that I use a small handtruck... you would really be stooped over putting wheels on that), but will still easily fit in the backseat. I find the 1210 actually a little louder but the Epi310UL more refined.... both great with the TF and both great in their own way....

20. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You all find one cab to be enough for small/medium gigs? You ever wish you could run two?