1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick my 210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EoganDubh, Aug 4, 2019.

1. EoganDubh

EoganDubh Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    Hey everyone! I've been loving my Genz CTR 500 115 and its stacked Focus 115 cab which I plan to keep, however I'm itching for a new 210 for smaller gigs.

I have plenty of wattage with my 15's, so a ton of juice isn't critical with the new one. Anywhooo, I'm looking at these:

The new Fender Rumble 210

Peavey Max 300 210

Markbass Little Marcus cmd102p 210 wedge

Galluen Kruger MB210 ii

If you had your druthers, what would you pick and why? Please stick to these 4 as I've got it narrowed to those. Thanks for the input!

2. bhendrix

bhendrix Supporting Member

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I assume you mean the Fender Rumble 500 v3 combo and I can fully endorse that selection! Can do just about anything the other ones can, but SOOOO much lighter! I love mine and keeps up, no ahead, of any band situation I've come across so far.

3. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    I can second the recommendation for the Rumble 500C, but if you are talking about the Rumble 210 cabinet, I can also heartily recommend those.

I have three Rumble 210 cabs. I have one paired with my 500C that I can use as an extension cab to make a make a vertical 410 and get the full 500 watts from my combo.

I have two more because I recently bought discontinued Rumble 500H and wanted to have them as an alternate/backup rig or be able to have the same setup at a practice space.

Using just one with my 500H sounds good and just like my 500C. I have never tried them with a different head but I do believe they are quality cabinets.

The Rumble 210 cabs have recently started showing up regularly on the Guitar Center used site in “Great” condition for $199. That‘s half price of a new one. With shipping and everything they total $248 to have shipped when I looked at them.

I also just bought a pair of the discontinued Rumble 112’s from a fellow TB member. They were delivered today and I am fixing to plug them up to my 500H and practice with them. I figured that one or both of them along with my head would make a nice compact rig similar to what you are talking about.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    alanloomis1980 and EoganDubh like this.
  4. EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    Thanks for the replies! However, i missed them. I didn't get a notification for some reason.

Yes, i looked at Fender and almost went that route as I was trading in a wedge Bassman 150 (couldn't run an extension). Poked around a bit and talked to the local GC guys and ended up trading the Fender, a WTDI and $160 for an on-sale Little Marcus cmd102p 250. I should have it in about a week (I hope)! They didn't have any of the Fenders to try but if I wnd up not liking the Markbass, i have 45 days to return it.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    NAD - Hartke HD500

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have owned all the combos listed except the Peavey, and for my money the Fender Rumble 500C is the choice for sure. Nice and light, but can cover anything. I used mine for cover band gigs with a loud drummer, and it didn't break a sweat. I actually had purchased the matching 210 cab, and never used it.

7. EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    Wow! Lots of love or that Rumble. Alright, I'll have to see if I can track one down and check it out! Thanks!

bhendrix likes this.
  8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    IMO it depends on what your after....my usual response is (and I speak from personal experience);
    If your after classic "Fender" tones, the Rumble is a great choice, especially paired with a P or J.
    If your after more modern tones, a bit tighter lows and snappier highs, the GK MB combo's are a great choice.
    Both sound good, are lightweight, portable and powerful enough for most "bar" gigs...just on different ends of the classic vs modern tonal spectrum.

9. EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    Thanks for the reply. This combo will have to run the gamut from classic R&B tones to bright, modern jazz and funk. I play with a couple of different bands and cover a wide variety of stuff. Right now, I'm primarily playing a groove oriented gig, but that could change tomorrow or even while I'm playing. It just depends what the bandleader calls.

Joe Olnick

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  10. Here's another vote for the Rumble 500. I have the combo with 2X10s and a 2X10 extension cabinet. IMO the best value for your money.

11. Where is the OP? Does he like the Mark??? :wideyed:

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    So, OK, it's not exactly on your list, but you already own half of a nice 115 Genz Benz modular rig, which would easily surpass, IMHO, most of the rumble stuff. How about a nice used 300-600+ @4 ohms head? Buy a used shuttle 6.0, or something similar? Used is good, IMHO.

For Sale/Trade - Peavey Mini Max 500
    For Sale - Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 price lowered
    For Sale - Ampeg PF 500 Head
    For Sale/Trade - Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
    For Sale - Mesa Subway 800 plus (+) like brand new..Price lowered

etc.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  13. Craig22221

Craig22221

Jun 14, 2017
    I’m in the same boat. Combo or separate 350+ head. Comparing the GK and Rumble 210’s dude by side did not help make the choice. Now looking at a used subway 800 head Or genzler head and try different speakers.

14. EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    I honestly love my Genz Contour 115, but I was itching for a 210 also and couldn't find the 210 Contour, so I started looking around. Sometimes I just need something that isn't as powerful. The 115 sounds great when I run it at about half, but sometimes its too loud filling in on acoustic shows or low volume electric. The Lil Marcus is perfect for that.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  15. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Rumble 500 combo = home run