Help me pick my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGriff2311, Mar 3, 2003.

1. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003
    Hi, I'm looking for my first bass after playing on my friends for a while. If I could only choose from a Washburn XB102Q or an OLP MM2 (both are 4-strings), which one would you recommend and why? I have narrowed it down to one of these two, so please don't suggest a completely different one if at all possible. And remember, this is my first bass.
  2. Why have you narrowed it down to only these two basses? There are many other better basses for the buck.

If you HAVE to stay with these two, I guess my vote, FWIW, would be for the OLP. I've played a few at GC and they feel pretty nice, but aren't anything like their Music Man brother's (if they can even be called brother's). I've never tried the Washburn though, so I suggest you just go down to a music store and play as many basses in your price range as possible. Keep your mind open to other basses while your there.
  3. Out of those two, i would probably take the OLP (I love Stingrays, and it is somewhat similar I suppose, and you could put in a preamp and it would be very similar). Like John K said, you should try to still keep your eyes open. And don't forget used! I think I made the mistake of never looking into used basses, but you can get a really good bass for cheap used. Pick one that speaks to you!

4. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003
    Well, I mostly narrowed it down to those three because they were in my price range of less than $200, and those looked to have what I wanted in that range on most websites I looked. However, I am now really interested in a Brice V2 4 string active. It's a little more but hopefully I can swing it. What do ya'll think? There's not really much of anywhere around where I can get anything used that doesn't suck.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have heard many good things about the Brice V2's- I plan on buying a fretless v2 6-banger in a month or two. While your looking at Rondo , I would also look into an Essex Jazz fretted or fretless or P bass- for $130 you can't get anything near as good new. Also, if your interested, I can send you some pics of the bass in my was my first bass and served me well. Just about every guy I know that has a fretless swears by it. Good luck in your hunt man.:bassist:
  6. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003

Still need help. Would you reccommend one of the Essex basses over the Brice V2? Kurt from Rondo seems to feel that Brice is a better brand, and I like it better too for some reason. I have read about both of these subjects, but still want to get more info:
    1) What difference will the 2 humbuckers make versus a P pickup, a J pickup, or a P/J pickup?

2) How important are active electronics?

7. 1) The two humbuckers will give you a fatter tone, the P will give you that low, midrange driven tone, and the J's will give you growl, although the humbuckers and P are capable of growl as well. It's all subjective and a matter of taste. Like I said, go down to a music store and play a bunch of basses to find out which is better for you, before you have a mindset on which bass you must have.

2) They aren't important at all. They just give you the ability to have more tonal options, being able to tweak the bass, treble, or midrange (if that's an option). Active electronics require batteries, so if you're not willing to replace them every few months (not that big of a deal), then go with passive. And to reiterate, go down to a music store, and play some basses.

I have an Essex BG150, and while I havn't tried any Brice's, I can say that my Essex kicks butt, especially for the price, and by what some people have said in the Essex Megathread, I wouldn't be surprise if you got a kickin' instrument in a Brice.
  8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i own an OLP,while it is a good bass it has a VERY wide neck,it is a good sounding bass but,please pay close attention to this for it is important. the design of this bass is a little flawed, when i brang my bass in for its set-up,which i always do with a new bass, it had to be customized a little bit,its string ferrel(guide) was a little to tall,my luthier cut it down a bit and put a little piece of rubber under it to fix the buzz that came from the A string, i played anther one at his store and that one to did the same thing(buzzed at the A string) the neck is a little thick and chunky, making it a little tuff on people with smaller hands,or new to playing bass, other than those two things my bass now plays as well as an original M.M, they are worth the price tag, i got mine b/new on E-BAY, FOR 165.00$, luckily my luthier is my friend and teacher or that would of up the cost of the bass to over 300.00, in my opinion the bass is worth that much,IF it is set up correctely
  9. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    the washburn xb-102 was my first bass, it's alright but after about 6 months of use it really starts dropping in quality by the day. i've had so many problems with it recently. the action is horrible because i've had to raise it so high so i can minimize fret buzzing. the pickup selector switch is always getting messed up to where it will only let you use one pickup. and the nut by the headstock buzzes constantly. i would get all this fixed but since i'm getting a new bass soon i don't really care. so basically it's an alright bass, it just depends on how long you plan on keeping it.
  10. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003
    I am now considering the Essex BG-180 or the Brice V2 over either of those two. Does anyone have any further info or can you recommend one of those over the other?
  11. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I haven't played an OLP, but I would advise against the Washburn. I have a Washburn XB105 (which I'm about to unload in favor of an SX Jazz ;)), and it's simply not a very good instrument. I finally have it set up well enough to get rid of all of the fret buzz (which was AWFUL), but the action is horrible and the sound is mediocre at best. I think that the more expensive Washburns are really good instruments, but the low-end stuff just doesn't hold up. The best things about the Washburn are the finish, which is very good, and the nice warm tone (which is all you can growl at all!). Hope this helps.
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Re: Essex -

I'm not sure if this still applies or not (I can not read anymore of that mega thread - it's gotten unmanagably large)

When people here were first getting going on these Essex basses, the only problem was that the ones with rosewood boards seemed to have sharp fret edges that needed to be filed down. The ones with maple boards didn't have that problem. Like I said, I can't keep up on the megathread - maybe Kurt has had the factory do something about it and the problem no longer exists, I don't know for sure. Personally I was afraid I'd screw up on a fret filing project, or mar the board or something so I've stayed away from the Essex J bass temptation. I bought my daughter a short scale P clone that I was very happy with and I just ordered myself a SPB57 TM - I think I'm going to like it. That's my take on Essex.
  13. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    if you want a cheap bass that will do the job ,you cannot go wrong with a fender squire p-bass, for 169.00$ new(if you pay more than that,shop elsewhere) they can stand a beaten,then go to a reputable luthier(bass mechanic) and have him adjust the pick-up height,intonation,put lighter gauge strings on it and put the actyion down as low as he can with out making any frett buzz.if you do not understand this tech mumbo jumbo,your luthier will,this will make any fender bass playable for a beginner, i used my buddies squire bass for a gig and it had all the above except for he added new pick-ups and the bass held tune all nite and was very reliable,now dont get mw wrong it does not compare to my japanese p/j bass special but it was a trusty stand in!
    adam nuzzo
  14. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I don't have a bass anymore. I sold it and the camper I was living in to buy this brand new dell computer. I power it from the back of a local pizza place. So if your ever in NYC. Go to Papa's Pizzeria and look in the alley. There you will find me on in my "shelter" made of old Maytag freezer boxes. Look forward to seeing ya.
  15. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    what the hell is that all about, where is this coming from ,did i say something wrong to induce this non-sensical remark,did i offend you? if you have an issue with me e-mail me privately! if not peace!
  16. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I have bad news, someone came to my house and stole it. Now I'm still living in the alley ,but with a fixed newpaper roof over a pile of trashbag acting as walls. If anyone has any information bout my stolen home, feel free to contact me at: thank you