1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Pick My New Head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Orange Ad200b Mk3

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Ampeg Svt-CL

34 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. I know I know, not another "buy me an amp thread." but this is all i want to know.

i'm getting a new head soon, most likely within the next week or two and i've narrowed it down to two heads. I either want an Ampeg Svt-cl or an Orange Ad200b Mk3. I dont really need to know any info or specs or anything on these head, i've done all the reading i think i need, but if you have any info to offer by all means feel free. All i really want to know if which head, if you had to get one would you go for. I'm kind of leaning towards the orange but i dont know for sure yet. I play Indie-ish rock, if your ever heard the fall of troy or The Panthers.. i also play so harder stuff like metal and hardcore. I use a rick 4003 and a stingray. Thanks for your info and help.

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Hey! I also play a Rickenbacker 4003 and am getting a new all-tube head! I have it narrowed down between an Orange Ad200b MK3 and a Vintage Ampeg SVT. I played the Orange on Sunday and believe me, it is head and shoulders above the Ampeg SVT-CL. (I'll be playing the Vintage SVT later this week for the first time before I make the final decision). It is very warm and round with a very nice clean sound and you can get a really sweet tube overdrive sound with the gain up more, plus it looks REALLY cool!:hyper: I've also played the Ampeg SVT-CL on multiple ocassions, and while it is also a really nice amp I felt the Orange was a lot better. Anyways good luck! You'll end up with a great amp either way.

Have Fun,
    Gwx014
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

P.S. You might want to PM Macahan. He has a AD200b MK1 and is really knowledgeable about the Orange heads.

3. The Orange is vastly more articulate and actually more vintage SVT sounding than the CL. The CL has way too much mud for my tastes. What cab(s) will you be using? And how did you narrow it down to these 2?

4. SVT Classic all day long.

5. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
  6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i'd get the orange, just cause it looks freakin' cool, and its different from all the other guys using ampegs out there.

7. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium

2nd!

Get the orange, looks better, and not much (wel known)players use them = original sound!!

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've never played an Orange Head, but I did have an Ampeg SVT-CL for a time. I never found it to be "muddy" in the slightest. Of course it had the ability to become muddy if that's your thing, so luckily they installed one of those new-fangled EQ-thingies that allows you to boost and cut the bass to your tastes.:D

It was actually pretty darn articulate and was very versatile, especially with the 5-point mid-selector.

Basicall, if I had to choose one, I'd go for the Ampeg. Having more power and EQ controls does it for me.

I would love to play an Orange, though.

*edit* Note to self: Read original post thoroughly before posting reply.:rolleyes:*

9. David,

Im in the same boat. I dont find my (who did I get it from?:D ) SVT Classic to be muddy, but it can get dirty. In fact through a GK Neo 212/115 stack, I found the SVT Classic to be articulate, and full of usable tones.

The Orange I tried didnt seem to be as loud as the SVT by any means. But that my opinion, take it for what you will.

Its funny, I used to HATE SVT Classics, simply because everyone played one. Then I took a chance and got one, and now I see why everyone plays em.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would go with the Orange.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Shut up, Travis. ;)

Go with the Orange.

12. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I actually like having only the five knobs on the Orange (Master, Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain) A more is less type thing I guess. I thought I was able to get more tones out of the Orange than the SVT-CL.

13. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    well.. you can make the orange sound like an ampeg traditionally does, but you can't make an ampeg sound like an orange.. however.. orange has basically one tone only.. but what a tone... sort of like a RIC 4001..

14. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    Can't agree that the Orange has only one tone. You can crank up the gain and get lots of lovely natural distortion, or you can keep it down and get a warm, supple sound. And one of the things I like best about it is that it brings out the different characters of my basses so well - my Precision is round and thick, Jazz Bass clear and sharp, Rick woody and sweet, Les Paul Standard monstrously deep, Thunderbird the perfect rock tone.

But you can't go wrong with the Orange!