Help me pick my next bass: AV '64 Jazz vs AS Jag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizenchris099, May 14, 2016.

1. AV '64 Jazz

57.1%
  2. AS Jag

42.9%
  1. I've always wanted to own an American Fender and after much deliberation my choices seem to be down to two. The American Vintage '64 Jazz or an Americna Standard Jaguar.
    if price is not a factor which do you think is the better bass and why?

2. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Jag is a much more versatile bass as it is one of the best P/J configurations that are active and passive and has a 1.5 nut neck as a jazz. The "64 is a one trick pony and some do not like the shape and feel of its vintage Flatter neck...Your mileage may vary.

I have a '63 vintage P and if I had to choose between the two, I don't however, I would pick the Jag.

I have two Jags and am selling one...Check the link on my sig. and feel free to call if you like

3. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Am eyeing the 64 reissue. Tone is really sweet and classic. Tried one at the local shop and have not stopped thinking about it. Would be my go to bass for playing jazz if I do get it.

4. I love the jaguar as a guitar as much as I love the Fender Bass VI, all those offset-instruments, but never got into the Jaguar bass. So my vote goes to the '64 AS. I have a FSR one in Daphne Blue and it is my famous Jazz (the other two are a MIJ Noel Redding '65 Jazz and an all original '78. Love the pickups on the '64, prefer it to the older '62 RIs.
    Maybe it is just me but I don't like P/J basses in general - I don't like the looks. And the Jaguar looks like an uninspired mixture of a Bass VI, a Jaguar guitar and a P/J.
    But at least in Germany it is 400,- less than the AVS basses...

5. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    I voted for we AS Jag, I have a MIJ Jag that I love and have tried an AS, it was really nice, had me considering a trade.

6. Jazz! It's just a timeless instrument.

7. so now I'm also considering a EBMM Caprice. They aren't out yet but it seems like exactly what I want.
    Caprice Bass

8. For what it's worth I got me a brand new AV 64 J. Got it set up with Chromes and (other than the g string sounding dead high up on the neck) it sounds amazing

Midak, Tbone76, GregC and 1 other person like this.