1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick my next Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcerio, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I've decided that due to health issues and tone unhappiness it's time to downsize my rig yet again. I mostly play rock dates (No real heavy stuff) with my band 3 to 8 times per month. My rig stays in the trailer between gigs and has covers. I've been running a Markbass CMD 102P (For sale if anyone is interested) and Traveler 102 extension cab (sold). This rig has had no problems keeping up with a fairly loud drummer and a guitarist with a half-stack. My main basses are a Carvin BK4 with passive J's and an active Fender Prophecy III mohogany neck through with EMG P/J and the BTC preamp. I guess that over the years I've become less enamored with the Markbass sound. To give you an idea of what I like, probably the best sounding cab I've ever owned is an Eden Nemesis N-210P. Deep and full, slightly old school.

That being said, I've been looking at some alternatives on the 'net. Living in Upstate NY, my opportunity to try before buying without considerable travel is limited. Some of my requirements are:

1. Lightweight - I'd like to keep the cabinet(s) under 34 lbs., the weight of the Markbass Traveler 102P. The amp should be as lightweight as possible.
    2. Tone - As above, the ability to go a bit deep and be a bit old school. Getting a killer slap tone is secondary, just a decent slap tone will suffice.
    3. Volume - I need it to keep up with the band when I'm not in the PA.
    4. Reasonably priced - I can afford pretty much anything, but I'd like to avoid boutique prices if I can. I'd like to order from an online retailer with a liberal return policy.
    5. Availability of covers - I like to take care of my stuff.

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

1. Genz-Benz Streamliner 900 and (2) Focus 112T cabs. Saw Ed Friedland demo these online and thought they sounded killer. A bit worried about blowing the cabs as they are rated at only 200 watts each.
    2. Gallien-Krueger MB Series Head and (2) Neo 112-II cabinets. They are so many rave reviews about these cabinets that I can't ignore them. I think the MB Fusion 500 or 800 or just the MB500 or 800 would run them just fine.
    3. Gallien Krueger - any of the above heads with (2) MBE 115-II cabinets. I'd say mix the 115 with the 210, but I'd get lynched for that here. :)
    4. Fender - Rumble 350 Head and (2) Rumble 112 cabinets (or a 2 x 8 in place of one of the 12s). I really liked the demo I saw online. I'm not sure how the cabs would hold up and it's been hard to get an opinion from anyone using them here.

Please send any opinion you have. I'd like to move on this. I would consider mixing and matching amps and cabs and other brands. Thanks in advance.

2. Either of these with a 12/6 would be a killer little rig IMHO. Would probably cover all of your needs. If you need more volume a 15/6 would be louder and unless you are really loud will cover just about everything. Either way you will just be tickling those cabs with those heads.

3. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been looking at those online. Are they really that good? I really like the weight specs on the Art of Noise website. Are there any other good builders? I was thinking I would start with a 15/6 and a GB Streamliner 900. Later on I could add a 15 sub if I needed.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yes, they ARE that good IME. Many other builders as well-search around....lots of info available.

5. for your description, I'd go with either the 12/6 or a BFM Jack style. Both of these cabs send out what you put in.

for the amp, pretty much pick one of the micro heads. With the EQ'ing capabilities on these heads, it would just be a twist of some knobs to get pretty much any tone, or at least close enough that the crowd won't notice.

6. GB SML-900 and a fEARful is a great pairing. It is one head that still has me gassing a bit.

Per AoN - There have been a lot of quality issues and delayed production time issues recently. From what I have heard Robbie is getting out of the business. As it is he is no longer an Authorized builder of greenboy designs.

All that said there are still some wonderful builders out there. Mike Arnopol is working in composites, and has some crazy light cabs. I started a thread about a 39 pound 215 that he built a while ago. Dave Homer of Gigmaster Soundworks built my 1515/66/1. It is an amazing cab, and he would be my builder of choice due to his proximity to me.

I would check out the current list of builders, find one close to you and start asking them questions about what they do. Depending on the materials and finish you would want they all do something special, and I wouldnt hesitate to order a cab from any of them.

If you have any DIY inclanation the plans for fEARfuls are free, you can build one yourself if interested.

7. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Do NOT order a cab from Art of Noise.

8. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Has anyone checked out the ACME Series III Neo cabs?

9. They are a great cab from what I understand. There are a few fEARful users that used them in the past, and have no reservations about selling them after getting a fEARful. I know there has been some discussion about the cab sensitivities, they sacrifice sensitivity for low end extension. Depending on the head you plan on using this could be a concern.

10. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1

Either would rock the house and you would only need a single cab.

11. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I saw a Fearful 12/6 Cube and 12/sub picture on greenboy's web site. Killer!

12. [​IMG]

This is one of the sexiest 12/6 and 12sub rigs I have seen.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For what you're after:

Cab-
    Composite Audiokinesis 115 Thunderchild compact

Amps to try:
    Ampeg PF500
    Genz Streamliner 600 (900 is overkill with the TC @ 4 ohms)
    Markbass TTE 500 (way different sound than most Markbass amps!)
    Orange Terror Bass 500

As an owner of a BFM Jack 112...No way for this application. It'd work OK, but you'd be fighting the natural tone profile the whole way.

14. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Wow. This is all great information. I was hoping to hear from more folks about the "standard" mass market cabs, but this is a great start.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are no cabs that do what you're asking that weigh 34lbs or less on the mass market. There are semi-boutique builders on Talkbass (Audiokinesis, Baer, Mike Arnopol from the fEarful side).

The closest you're going to come is a GK MB410 on the mass market.

edit: I see you're willing to get two cabs. In that case, the GK 112 neos are a good solid choice. I think two of them would struggle to keep up with a single Thunderchild 115 however.

16. jcerio

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't have a problem moving multiple cabs. They just need to be as light as possible. I move them on a cart.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK MB 500 is a wicked sounding little amp.
    I heard one pumping 2 1x12's and have had
    serious G.A.S. since.