Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick my next strings please!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tuBass, Dec 31, 2002.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I am looking for a taperwound set with a b string that is in the area of 130. Which set do you think id the best? I have Labella "hard rockin'" on there now, and they make my tone pretty thin. I am going for a Stingray sound, but I play a yamaha BBG5S.
    Anyone? anyone?

Mark

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    give Dean Markley sr2000's a try. they intonate very well, they have a really great tone, and they hold their tone a long time.

3. SIT makes Taperwounds. The B and E strings are tapered.

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    tuBass,

The two types of strings I prefer are DM SR2000 (Will Lee set) and Ken Smith strings.

The Dean Markley SR2000 strings have an exposed core and are very bright strings. There is a good deal of tension on the higher strings. If you do a search on the forum for SR2000, you can find comments from those that like and dislike these strings and why.

There are different lines of Ken Smith strings with some being Tapered and some not. Some sets have only the B tapered. They are good sounding quality strings that have good punch.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Thanks for the feedback. I picked up a set of the Will Lee sr2000's yesterday. I'll I could find were the 7 string set, so does anybody want the extra strings?
    They sound very bright when I play by myself, but when I took them up to the church last night I was actually adding treble and taking away bass from the EQ. THey are pretty good strings, but I'm not going to say they are the right strings for me yet. The next set I try may be the DR long necks. I am grown fond or taper strings, so I am trying a different set each time until I find my favorite.
    I will add the Ken Smith strings to my list of strings to try, which set do you like? Ken, are you watching this thread?

By the way, the sr2000's are not exposed core. They are close, but there is a very small winding surrounding the core. I heard that only one company is allowed to do the "exposed core" thing because of a patent issue, and it's not Dean Markley.

6. I don't know if I am of any help, but I suggest Ernie Balls Slinky with the .130 B string. I'm sorta speaking out of my @$$ on this one, but I am going to try and make some sense out of it. Stingrays are made by Ernie Ball, so why not try the strings that are also made by them? Just some food for thought. Then again I have only tried out Slinkys since I have only been playing for so long and I am still on my first set. I want to try some other types though.

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's a good thought, and I plan on trying that too, but my low b seems to play better with a taper string, so I was going to try those options first.
    Thanks for the idea

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    please do a search and check the faq as well, im positive you'll find the right string for you by doing that.

much love

mama cass

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think this is specific enough to stay open....

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Thanks Jason. I've really gotten a lot out of this thread.

Mark

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, at the four month point I thought I would give an update. I used the SR 2000 for about 14 weeks. I liked them, but I had some setup problems because of the severe taper on the higher strings.

I tried the DR long necks with terrible results. The strings didn't seem to be a match with the EMG pickups I have on my bass, and I got a terrible chashing harmonic starting around the 10th fret that got worse the higher I went.

Today I tried some slowounds. They have a .130 tapered B string, but the rest of the set is normal.
    The tention feels good, the nickel on the strings feels great on my fingrs after only using steel for the last year or more, and the sound is great so far. I'll know more after my first band practice on Wednesday night, but sitting here in my house it seems all is well.
    Has anybody else noticed that slowounds compliment the EMG pickups at all? Or is this just my imagination?