Help me pick one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillytheBassist, Oct 17, 2006.

1. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I am about to purchase a new bass, I have several decent quality basses and have been satisfied with them all. But i'm ready to buy a bass that will serve for anything i need.. a "do it all" bass if you will. So,... i've been shopping now for a few years i suppose. And i've narrowed it down to two. My choices are.
    A fender american deluxe precision V... or
    A Warwick dolphin SN 5.
    I'd like to hear from anyone that cares to comment but, especially from any of you guy's that have experience with one or both of these basses. This will be my last purchase for at least a few years so i need help making the decision...
    Thanks in advance!

2. pegless

pegless

Nov 29, 2005
    the fender is plush. i usually am not a fan but that particular edition tickeld my fingers.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    thanks to those that voted..... still having a hard time choosing.

4. I would have to say that it is up to whatever tone you are looking for - a Fender will tend to give you a more old school tone compared to a more modern sounding Warwick.

If I have to be honest, get an Ibanez or a Washburn, They're not the top sounding names but they posess the best sounds AFAIC.

I used to be a name snob until I bought a Rick 4001 copy that sounded better than the real thing, now I don't care.

My 8 string is made by Mazeti (Who?). cheap as chips through neck bass.

Remember that these are opinions and your own one is the most important. I've bought too many basses because they sounded good in reviews and turned out to be no good to me.

MY perfect Ibanez SR1006 might be complete garbage to you.

Just do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Well, i'm not looking for one tone inparticular. I'm looking for a a bass that can sound "old school" as well as modern. I am by no means a name snob. I own a few Ibanez basses as well as other "cheap as chips" basses, I love em all for their specific qualities. I guess you could say i want to own a "pro" bass...I know the term "pro gear" is overrated but, after a few years of shopping around i know that MIA Fenders and Warwicks are considered to be some of the best basses on the market and most people consider them to be pro basses as well as me. Thanks for the input!

6. i would have to say buy the stingray :p

out of warwick and fender; its a fender for me.

7. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    =\ I got no other reason to say Fender other than I'm just not a Warwick guy, but then again I'm also a Schecter/EBMM guy, so to each his own.

8. Think you gotta try them first and see which one you're comfortable with.

Think the Fender will be more appealing to non-musicians.. And it'll not let you down.

IMO, the Dolphin is in a class of it's own. Quite special.. But not everybody's cup of tea.

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
  10. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice pick! that's what i just voted for before i scrolled to the bottom.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021