1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP me pick out a case for my new Studio PC build...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Mar 12, 2009.

1. First of all, thanks to everyone being patient with me in my other threads relative to this new computer. I'm sometimes hopeless at making up my mind. :confused:

Anyway, I finally received my refund from Uncle Sam and it's time to quit talking and start building.

I'm looking at, leaning towards, the Lian LI PC-7B Plus II, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099&Tpk=PC-7B , I would prefer another internal hard drive slot but know I can use the "extra" external 3.5"

Also looking at the LIAN LI PC-K1B, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112192&Tpk=PC-K1B , but I am apprehensive about the side mount Hard Drives. Are there adapter cables with a 90degree bend for SATA and Power?

Any other suggestions?
    - don't want a front door
    - don't want side panels and fancy lights

THANKS again,

2. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Don't worry about the K1B. There is room behind the drive bays for the cables to make the bend. You won't need 90-degree cables or anything.

Your main criteria should be:
    1. Enough space for all your drives
    2. Decent airflow
    3. QUIET (this means 120mm fans and ideally steel case rather than aluminum)

3. So you think the K1B is a good choice?

4. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX

5. THANKS, more choices :crying:

6. I have a Lian Li with side-mount hard drive trays (5 of them) and it is AWESOME. It lets me run the power cables behind the mobo tray to all the drives ,then use short sata cables from the drives back around to the motherboard. Much less restriction of airflow, and much more of the drives get cooled by the fans in front.

7. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    I would go with whichever case has the format and looks you like, then apply Dynamat and sound deadening to the interior. Buy quiet or passove cooling solutions where possible, and quiet hard drives.

I dynamatted my Antec case and I believe it is quieter than anything premade to be quiet.