Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick out a new amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoiNtC, Sep 2, 2005.

1. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    So.. my EBS HD350 is great, but recently I've been wishing I've had more power, as for as price range goes, if its truely worth it and won't cost me an arm and a leg, I'd go for it (I'd say around 1k please nothing TOO much north of that at most? But if you know a good deal cheaper let me know!)

The choices I have been looking at are:

EBS TD650
    Ashdown ABM 900 Evo II (or something like that *shrug* the ABM 900)
    Or EA iAmp 800

I'll be keeping my EBS 4x10 cab, and possibly throwing in a 1x15 eventually to run with the cab, so keep that in mind, more power more loudness with same good quality sound I get out of my EBS.

Ready, get set... GO!

2. The 650 does not have significantly more power than the 350 unless you run it into a 2ohm load. The iAmp800 would be a great fit with that cab (although I found the 350 really loud, so not sure what your situation is). Can't comment on the Ashdown.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm a certified EA freak, so I'd take the iAMP hands down. Remember that you'll be getting crisp and clear with the iAMP. If you are looking for something with more color, you may want to add some other options to that list.

-Mike

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The answer is obvious- used SVT-ii (non pro) or even a Mesa 400/400+

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I owned an HD350 for a while, and you shouldn't expect the iAmp to sound just like it, as the HD has some pretty different intrinsic character, IMHO. Both are perceived as neutral or hi-fi type amps, but they both bring a different spin on that. For what I currently need the iAmp is better (I think it's closer to neutral, and definitely makes more low end when asked to), but the HD350 is a really nice piece too.

Best of luck!

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If you don't mind a colored sound, the 400+ is quite loud, and can be had used for $800 or under. I had an SVT2 PRO that was louder though. For a solid state amp, I like Genz Benz. My GBE 600 is super loud, easily keeps up with the 400+ or Ampeg. Tonally very flexible, from relatively uncolored to whatever EQ you like.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'll probably try out the iAmp later this week, the other bassist at my church uses it all the time, but I've never really toyed with it other than plugging in and playing with it the way he has it set.