1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick out a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Soul, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Mr. Soul

Mr. Soul

Jan 31, 2007
    Well after some rangling by some friends I am going to go back to playing metal! This time playing and being lead vocalist.

Well I need to pick up a bass as I don't have any gear. It needs to be cheap (under 500). Active electronics if possible.

I'm gonna go with a G-K rig as I believe they have the best metal tone and can really cut through the mix well.

Give some suggestions of what to check out!

2. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm going to assume that you're looking for a standard four string, since you didn't mention any special requirements:

The Yamaha BB614 has active electronics and you can pick one up new for about $450

Traben's Neo 4 is around $400 and the Neo Limited 4S is around $500

The Schecter Omen-4 is $350ish.

and if you can go slightly higher you can get a Fender Deluxe P or a Stiletto Studio-4 (Schecter) for somewhere in the neighborhood of 650 bones.

3. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Of course, you'll always do better, dollar for dollar, on the used market, if you don't mind the lack of warranty.

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    ATK305 they can be great for anything metal wise and whatever else too.

5. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Speaking of ATKs (sorta) there was an Ibanez Roadgear RG900 on Daddy's for around $299. I don't know how they compare with the ATKs though they must be similar.

6. Peavey Millenium BXP, or Cirrus BXP (over 500 @ MF, but under on ebay: BIN new.)

7. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    yamaha basses are great even they are cheap. i both a yamaha bbn4III second handed with two humbuckers, i both it for 150$ and it sound great. but i will also say ibanez atk. i try it last week. the sound is so clean and deep. i would like to have one when i got better to play:D