Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me pick out an amp =)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Jul 6, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Alright, I'm tired of playing through the stock amp that came with my squier p-bass combo pack, as i've been using it almost daily for the past 3 years. It's a 'Frontman 15 B'.

Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg for an amp, I just want the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for any help =)

Bryan :cool:

2. My vote is for a Peavey, then when you get tired of that a SWR Workingman.

3. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    if you know the price range on these amps, please post it too.

thanks,

bryan

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Just a general comment after being through amp buying for years. If you plan to be a bass player for a long time, save up and get the amp with the best tone and that meets all your current needs and any needs you think you might have in the future. You may not think you are on a quest for the ultimate tone right now but you will be...

you will be... :D

5. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I just need something thats not going to cost 1,234,567,890$

6. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i recomend not getting anything that you dont think you will be able to use down the line in bands, shows etc. you're better off going all the way to a half stack instead of getting something in between, IMO.

7. yea i agree you very quickly realise your needing something bigger and pushing your newish kit to it's limits!

8. I would offer my Peavey amp but I have no other amp. I'm going to a pawn shop, so if I find a good one for cheap, you might get the hand-me-down, or the new-to-me one, depedig on if i want my stuff to match or not. :p :D

9. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    lol, thanks for your consideration. =)

10. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone else want to recommend a good amp to buy?

11. QSC PLX power amp, Sansamp RBI pre amp, Avatar cabs.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your looking for a combo amp, you should check out Ampeg's website. I'm sold on Ampeg's sound, really. Although to be honest... I would go with a half-stack, if I were you. It really just isnt worth having a combo amp as an upgrade. One question to ask yourself... do you think you will be gigging in the next 1-2 years? If so.... just get yourself a halfstack. Or if you really want a combo, make it a biggie. Possibly a GK. (I'm not to sure on GK's price range) If money is an issue... your not gonna want a tube amp, cuz they cost a buttload. But tubes arent a necessity, as much as they are a luxury.

Ampeg does make some good combo amps... but they're the kinds of things I'd consider for beginners (that have a good wad of cash to spend). You dont always have to blow a ton of cash... in fact, I started with the same bass package you did 4 years ago. You gotta start somewhere... but at this stage, I would not go with a combo amp, as you cant really upgrade them too well.

My Suggestion: Ampeg B5R with a 4x10 (4ohm) cab. This will give you 340Watts and likely wont destroy your budget. 340Watts isnt a whole ton of wattage for a Solid State (or non-tube) amp... but it CAN be gigged with. I'm running a 350Watt rig and I feel as though I could play a small to medium venue. I mean, you may not even be in a band now.... I'm sure as hell not.... but you never know what could pop up. Why be stuck with a combo amp? They arent as powerful, as flexible, or as cool looking as a rig :smug:. In the future, you can add another 4ohm cab (which would give you 2ohms overall) and operate the B5R at it's maximum 500Watt potential. Not bad, huh?

The reason I like ampeg, is because they seem quite simplistic, yet they manufacuture true pro-quality gear. It's easy to understand and learn about the technology of amplifiers through their gear (or so I feel at least). Plus, they're website is very specific on things. Check it out sometime... it REALLY taught me a lot of things that I need to know about gear. It's fun... it's like learning how to play a complex video game :p .

However, the only real brands of amps I have experience in playing with are Ampeg :D , Fender :scowl: , and SWR :) ... so you should pay mind to what others have to say. There's some real veterans hangin around this website, as I've learned.

~Evan

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    G-K makes killer amps, if you like the more hi-fi non tube sound ( which i do ), and are also a bit lower price, but still great quality heads. I currently run the GK 1001 RB head.(750$)

Avatar Speakers makes some awsome cabs for there price range, i run a 4x10 and a 2x12 cab by them right now, only probly ive had is stacking the 4x10 on the 2x12 really cuts the sound output ( due to porting i belive ), so i just have to run them side by side, which makes a great beer stand. (togather ran me about 730 bucks )

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes, your sound preference definately plays a role. I think tubes sound great, but then again... they really arent right for the music I intend to play (or so I feel in my opinion). Then again... tubes are popular from bassists that can range from blues to Modern day metal bands. I know Mudvayne's bass player usually uses a set of SVT-2 Pro's, and he sounds friggon brilliant.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Got to say that this doesn't narrow it down very much. There are a great many choices. If you could let us know what sound you are trying acheive and an amount of money that you can afford, then we'd be happy to offer some alternatives that might work out well for you.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Keep used in mind too. I picked up an Ampeg 410 HLF for $300 and afterward I suspected I could have gotten it for $275. You can put together a great rig for little $$ if you go used.

17. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    well, here's a little bit on the sound i want to get.
    i like tim commerfords sound a lot. i also like justin chancellor's. i'm a bit fond of fieldy's as well.

although, i dig jaco just as much ;)

thanks!

18. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    see above,

my budget is around 300 - 400 dollars right now, although,
    i could always wait and save more.

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    With that budget you are going to need to watch the used market carefully. You will probably need to buy a combo amp, because I can't think of a set of seperates that will keep you under $400 total. Try to buy something fairly common because you will want to be able to resell it later.

SWR and Ampeg are your best bet if you can find something in your price range. Eden Nemisis is another good low price combo.

20. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    wait.....

for 300-400 your gonna get junk or if your really lucky, possibly a decent used head or cab.