1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick Pickups/Electronics for my Warmoth build!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doodleface, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Doodleface

Doodleface

Aug 24, 2011
    So straight to the point.

5-string Warmoth Deluxe Jazz
    Swamp Ash body
    Maple neck and Pau Ferro fretboard.

I'm shopping around for electronics and pickups. I really dig the classic Fender sound (more from the 70s than 60s) But I'd like something with a bit more bottom end that can still speak clearly in the upper registers.

I'm not sure if I want to go active or passive. I think active would be sweet but I like natural sound of passive basses, if I were to go passive I'd probably still get a stellartone tonestyler.

I play all kinds of music but my favourite tones definitely come from old R&B records (again, I'd like it a bit more 'umph' out of the lower frequencies still), and Jaco. Always Jaco.

What can you recommend me TalkBass?

ps. I like exposed pole pieces!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Most likely a Precision Bass, not a Jazz. P basses where the most widely used bass in the 70s. Jazz basses were less common.

3. Well it might not speak as clearly as a normal jazz bass set up does.
    But my Annabelle (A Warmoth 5 string Z bass with a swamp ash body and Wenge neck and Bloodwood Fretboard) has a seymour duncan quarter pound jazz neck pickup, along with a rio grande powerbucker in the bridge, and works on a 2 volume 1 tone set up, with a pick up selector between neck only, both, bridge only, Along with the powerbucker having a push pull volume for series and parallel wiring.

I find that the jazz on its own is a bit weak i guess you could say, but is well defined, Both together gives it more bottom end, specially if i have the powerbucker on low volume it doesnt interfere so much as just give that bottom end, and the powerbucker on its own can really give me the Saxon type thunderbird tone that i adore aswell.

One of the switching systems does sound alot more jazzy clear than the other, unfortunately im not sure which it is.

I hope this helps. Apologies for any spelling and paragraph length, it is 5:30 in the morning here! haha