help me pick some cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Sherlock, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Eric Sherlock

Eric Sherlock

Mar 8, 2005
    upgrading my rig from an ampeg BA210 combo with an SWR SM500, i want a fully modular rig with 2 cabs and i want the to be SWR, but i am open to anything, please help me select 2 cabs. my bass is a warwick thumb 6 . i play in a rock group with my fingers, no pick. i want growly tone that is going to bring down the house, but not overkill the rest of the band. budget is not an issue.

Eric Sherlock
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? What sound are you after? What is the budget?
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    wow, your thoughts are incomplete to me. what did you mean by " and I want the to be SWR" want what to be swr??

A growly tone can come from a guitar with great pickups and natural tone OR a pedal overdrive? I don't usually think of growl caused BY the cab, just amplifying the growl, however growl as I understand it is a combination of low lows and clear mids. some of the PRO swr cabs would be great for that, maybe a 410?? goliath? I like Aguilar 112's but I don't know how well the mids would conveigh a "growl" but the lows are great, better than the SWR workingman series cabs. the pro swr are a little better at lows, but maybe not as full as aguilar.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya buddy you need to enunciate your words a little better.

To tell ya the truth there are a crap load of cabs out there that you can choose from. But since you mentioned SWR I'm ganna tell ya right off, that swr cabs and heads from my experiance reproduce more clean and crisp then growly type sound.

But some swr cabs to look into for a modular rig would be the 212 box they have.

Some other brands to check into would be aguliar, kustom, epifani, bergantino, and EA.

All those manufactures have smalll, light and powerful cabs to accomidate you.

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Small, light and modular equals two 112's in my book every time. Check out Aguilar, Epifani, or Accugroove. All great boxes.