Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me pick the right bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by COZ, Jan 3, 2001.

1. How's it going! Trying to figure out what bass to buy, and which bass would give me the complete sound that i want. We play most alternative, but we like to play a lot of zeppelin. Also my lead like a lot of blues rifts, so i want to fit in with his sound, but i don't want to loose the fatness that i want to accomplish. So any ideas on which bass to buy would be great. this way i can take your ideas try the bass out see how i like it!

Thanks Coz

2. whats your price range? that would help out alot

3. Price range for right now is about 500 to 600 canadian! after that, the the sky's the limit, bascically we have our first show in about two months, and right now i'm playing of a rental, and let's just say it's a piece of junk!, so i something that's affordable buy will do the job. after that, and once my visa card comes to me, than price is not an issue!

4. i dont know how much that is in american dollars. so ill assume that they are basically in the same range.

im not sure what brands you like/hate, but you can find some good basses in that price range from fender, ibanez, yamaha, esp, shecter, etc. check out either http://www.musiciansfriend.com or http://www.music123.com

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    $600 Canada equals about $400 American. IMO, Yamaha and Peavey makes the best bass in that price range for basses. I play a musicman stingrays just so you know the sound I like. But as always, the best thing to do is hit the streets and play as many basses as you can get your hands on. Also a good place for opinions of basses is

http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/bass-rev.html

It has the most reviews of any place I've seen, but remember that these are from people not experts. Some reviews are from very amateur players that haven't experienced many brands of bass equipment.

Cameron Dye

6. COZ,
    Get a MIM Fender Jazz.

7. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Yamaha BBG4S 4-String Bass (lowest Active Pickup bass available). Musicians Friend has em for $449.

Would also recommend checking out a Yamaha RBX460 ($399).

Also, Ibanez makes some decent basses in that range.

I started on a Yamaha RBX460. A good bass for the money. I just upgraded to a Carvin LB70.

8. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    The MIM Fender Jazz or Precision. You're playing a lot of Zep? Go with the Jazz. You can use that for just about EVERYTHING. Fenders are very versatile axes.

I've been playing for over 20 years now, and I look back at the quality of entry level instruments then compared to now, and I just can't believe it. Young players now are so fortunate that really good quality instruments are so affordable.

9. Since you live in Ontario, get yourself down to your local Long & McQuade and check out the Godin SD. It's a truly well crafted instrument made in Canada (no import duties to worry about, so you get a lot more for your money). In fact the quality of the Godin instruments is typical of instruments twice the price.

They cost about $585 CDN when I last looked whereas the best price for a MIM Jazz bass is about $430. Although the Fender is indeed a very good choice, IMO the Godin is a significantly better made instrument and will deliver the same types of tones as the Fender since it has similar electronics (one P pickup and one J). People always talk about buying MIM Fenders and upgrading parts later - with the Godin, there's simply no need since the hardware and electronics are a lot better to start with. The difference in wood materials and workmanship is huge.

BTW, be aware that up until recently there was also and active version of the SD bass (called the SD Pro) with Seymore Duncan pickups. If you see any of these in stores they will be more money. The active SD has been discontinued. I liked the passive one better anyway.

10. ..you really want one of those new British basses, you know, one of those E Basses!!!!!!

http://www.ebasses.co.uk

Nick

11. COZ, my Ibanez SR400 puts out some nice round low end for the sound you want, and i got it for $389US, i love the thing to death, or like previously mentioned, the MIM Jazz bass.. but i love the way the SR400 sounds with the PJ configuration...

12. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    youre going to get a lot of suggestions for the MIM Jazz..i know i did when i looked in this price range. one thing to think about TRY TO GET SOMETHING USED! youll get more bass for the buck that way. i would suggest the Fender MIM Jazz for pure versatility or if you can get a really good deal try a musicman stingray for the same reason. dont get your hopes for the latter in that price range though...so i guess you should go for the MIM Jazz Bass

13. thanks everyone for your help. I'll take your suggestions and try those ones out and see which one suits me the best. If anyone lives in ontario, or you like to do road trips come see our show. It's in oshawa ontario. at durham college, in their pub. any questions give me a shout!

14. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY