1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick, WalkAbout or Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I'm trying to decide on a new amp and have gotten it down to either a Markbass 151p Jeff Berlin or a Mesa Boogie Walk About Scout 1x15.

I need something that I can put in my car by myself.
    I usually play small venues.
    Right now I have a Fender 400 Pro that weighs 80lbs and I'm not crazy about the sound.
    I'm done with small speakers and a horn.
    I actually hate the horn.
    I like the old school sound that I can get with a 15.

Neither of them tilt back. That would be a big plus.
    I play through an Ampeg 115 in my church's praise band and really think the tilt back option makes it easier for me to hear myself.

I think I'm leaning towards the Markbass but am open to
    any other amp that you think might be right for me.

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    both are great. you need to play them and see what you like....

3. You should be able to try out either of those amps in the LA area. I'd go with the walkabout, especially if you're going for an "old school" type sound, as you say.

4. You might consider the 12" Walkabout as well. In addition to the main 12" driver it has a passive radiator on the bottom. It's loud, deep, and has that awesome tube tone.

5. Walkabout head and a Breg 112 cab.
    Been using that combo for a while. It kills.
    Im just saying :D

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I prefer the Walkabout as well and was going to recommend the 1X12. The 15 is huge and heavy. It's got the nickname dragabout...

Adding tilt to any amp/cab is fairly simple. Just attach a spring loaded handle to the bottom and fold it out when you want to tilt it.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Mesa

8. Jeff Berlin (CMD151P) has a 15 and is a one-hander at around 46 pounds. :)

Boom! It's a drummer slayer.

9. Thanks for the input guys.

I should mention that I have a Gallien Krueger MB150S that I use as a practice amp.

I just don't think the 12' speaker has what it takes to play a gig.
    There's just no real low end with it. It has that sterile GK sound.
    If the Mesa or Markbass sound like my GK, I'm not going to be happy.

I want a warmer sound with more bottom.....heck, the Ampeg 115 I use at church has the kind of sound I like.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree that the tiltback thing is a great option to have with a small cab. And you like the Ampeg cab and want something lighter but with balls, pardon the expression. So bearing that all in mind, maybe check out the PF115he with a PF350 or PF500. Inexpensive, not too heavy, has plenty of low end, and you can take out two wheels and tilt it back. Got nothing bad to say about the Berlin or the WA Scout, but I'd throw the Ampeg rig into the ring for your consideration as well.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Both can get you where you want to go but the Walkabout will be easier to dial in if you're used to vintage gear. The EQ is a bit more straight forward and it's MY preference...

...but the Markbass filters make it easily more versatile for every kind of gig you'd ever be able to play while the Walkabout will always have some remnant of its golden tone, which is amazing and entirely better to me.

IMO the mesa gear is built more robustly and has a lot more going for it given your stated needs and intentions...but you might really like the MB gear. It'll go way cleaner and more sterile then the WA will. I know what I like and if you were open to 10's I'd throw in the TC electronic Staccato combo as a suggestion cause it's one of the only amps that have done it for me when stacked up to the Walkabout.

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I compared these 2 amps side by side and it was no contest. The walkabout just slayed the Markbass combo. I liked the Jeff Berlin combo as it was quite warm sounding but the web just has so much more going for it for pretty much the same price.

13. Walkabout. Way more versatile. Plus, you can take the head and use it with other cabs, so it is like buying two pieces of gear for the price of one.

14. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    ]WALKABOUT, Hands down. I've had both and the WA is much more versatile!

15. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Walkabout Scout 12. And that 12 in your MB150S bears no resemblance to the 12 in the Mesa. I have both and, trust me, the Scout 12 will cover the majority of your small venue gigs.

Dan

16. I had the same preconception about the sound of a single 12 in a combo as you but you really should give the Mesa Scout 12 a try before you commit to anything else. The sound you get out of it is like no other 12 combo. With it's passive radiator on the bottom and the port tuning it sounds very deep and vintage. With the player control network you have ample control over what the tweeter will be doing. It's very portable and has plenty of power for adding cabs for louder gigs (goes down to 2 Ohm and 500W). I don't have any problems gigging, playing along with drummers by itself either.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Mesa has a tiltback dolly option with the Walkabout. However, the 15 combo is very bulky at 65 lbs with only a single top handle. Tonewise, IMHO, Walkabout all the way.

18. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I love my walkabout, but that Berlin is a killing combo. As a combo, it sounds louder to me and has a nice mid bump that really works with a band.

I think as a standalone head, the walkabout kills pretty much everything, but as a combo I would go with the Berlin. Just my opinion.

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was talking about the Walkabout Scout 15.

20. Right, I caught that. I was drawing a contrast between the two units.