Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    After ordering a new bass, a Reverend, I have $500 left over and I need to get an amp. I used to have a GK 210 that was quite loud but I had to sell it a year ago due to the fact that I was unemployed at the time and needed food! Right now I am playing on a cheezy 60w Fender that sounds boxy but is 'ok' just to use for a practice amp.

I am looking for a rig, combo or head/cab for around $500 that is still powerful enough to play the average size bar.

I want an amp that will sound good for blues n jazz.

Here are the amps that I have been eyeballing so far. I buy 99% of my gear from Musician's Friend and the prices I list come from there.

#1 Ampeg B100R $499 100w w/15" driver.
    I love ampeg tone and the looks of this combo as well but I hear time and time again that its not loud enough to play in a club without having to go into PA. This makes me :bawl: as I really would like to have an ampeg.

#2 Peavey TNT 200w w/15" driver
    I figure 200w would be plenty loud but I hear mixed reviews on the sound of this amp. Lots of reviews complain it has a loud hiiisssss.

#3 Bheringer BX3000T Ultrabass 300W Bass Head $229
    300w! Ok, more power than I will ever need. Have seen basically good reviews. No idea what it sounds like, can I get a good blues n jazz sound out of it? Don't like Hi-Fi sounding amps.
    :meh: Can something this cheap be reliable!? I don't have the cash to buy a backup amp anytime soon.

#4 Bheringer 4-12 cab. $279 Ultrastack BG412S 4x12 Stereo Cab with Jensen Speakers 400/w This thing doea not specify if its for bass or guitar! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480672/
    They sell another 4-12 thats specified for being for guitar. Since the one above is rated 400/w I assume its a bass cab yes?

Assuming I went with the Bheringer what kind of cab could I get for $250? Could I get away with useing just a 15? I tend to like the deep sound of a 15 now days.

My god, picking am amp was so much simpler when I played guitar

:rolleyes:

2. if you want MF, don't forget the Fender bassman 100 ($500) or a used Workingmans 15. And what about the new Ashdowns? if you're considering Behringer, the overseas construction shouldn't matter, and the new MAG combos give a lot for the price, at least on paper (see link)... worth a look, they're getting good reviews.
    http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&form=prodsearch&cat=&cat2=3720&ob=p19&submit=Filter+Results
    If you want 300w you can get a 2x10 combo for $450 and a 1x15 for less. if you can live with only 180 watts it's even cheaper (the EB series). Just a thought....

You also might want to check samash; i recently picked up a blem Roland DB500 combo for $319 (160w 1x12) which might suit your needs if they still have any.

3. It´s a guitar cab so forget it.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    For cabs, try Avatar....
    SB115 = $249 + $29 shipping (over your limit...)
    SB112 = $219 + $29 shipping
    B210 = $229 + $29 shipping (just $8 over...)

Inexpensive yet quality cabs IMO.
    Check 'em out at: http://www.avatarspeakers.com

I hope this helps.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Step away from MF for a sec. Pick up a Nemesis 210 combo from Eden. They can be had for $500 and under used. Although they are harder to find, they also come in a 410 config.

-Mike