Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me plan my Valentine's Day Meal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 9, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    St. Valentine's Day.

When man and boy alike attempt to woo (or re-woo) the the object of their fancy. Chocolates are bought, flowers are carefully wrapped, and most men in the world try and get it right lest they forever be reminded of the Valentine's Day they messed up.

(It's not all that drastic, at least not for me. But it sounded good while I was writing it.)

I'll be cooking for the girlfriend this Saturday, and I'm trying to plan the meal. Here's what I have so far:

Cornish hens with apricot sauce (She requested the hens, the preparation is my own choice)
    Artichokes (Again, her idea)
    Mashed potatoes (Once again, requested by my loved one)

...and that's it.

First of all, I have never eaten an artichoke, much less prepared one. I know you have to cut off the prickley things, and then chop off the top and put a little lemon on it, but after that I'm clueless. I think you steam them, but I have to look that up.

That's the veggie, and the potatoes make for a good starch. What else should I make as a side? I was thinking of getting some of that broccoli salad (really thin cut with carrots and lettuce) and serving that with Italian dressing on the side, in order to have somethign cold and a little more colorful. Other suggestions are welcome.

The aforementioned dishes are the result of me saying that she could have whatever she wanted. So, that's what I'm making. They make for a hearty meal, and I was thinking of something a little more delicate to offset the rest of the meal.

Also, dessert?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dessert?

FUDGE CAKE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM AND FUDGE TOPPING! what else?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's how I make artichokes and I like it a lot. Cut off all the pricklies like you said. Get a bunch of fresh basil leaves and several fresh garlic cloves and slice both the leaves and cloves up into slivers. You'll need a bunch of the slivers. Start from the bottom kind of pulling the leaves of the artichoke out a bit and shoving a bit of garlic and a bit of basil behind each artichoke leaf. Do this around and around gradually until you've gotten all the way to the top. Then steam the artichoke like you normally would. Serve with a little bowl of melted butter for dipping. MMmmmmm...

brad cook

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, if TV has taught me anything (and it has), it's that women do like chocolate.

That sounds really, really good. The potatoes will be pretty garlic heavy too, so I'll be sure to have after-dinner mints at the ready. ;)

5. Dessert - You and some whip cream.... oo yeahhh

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd leave the garlic out of the mashed potatoes though in light of the garlic content in the artichoke. I recommend making regular mashed potatoes and then mixing in bacon bits, sour cream and cheese. Kinda like twice baked or something...

The only "nonromantic" thing about artichokes is that you have this big pile of eaten husks from the leaves at the end.

brad cook

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There's a pretty mental picture for all of you. :D

DigMe - very good advice. I'll probably modify the potatoes appropriately.

8. for dessert, chocolate fondue. Very easy and very nice.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Artichokes? Eww! :) Wouldn't even want to touch those. Girlfriend or no girlfriend. :D

Everything else sounds great though. :):):)

I'm a little depressed, 'cause I won't get a chance to cook a Valentine's meal this year.

Last year it was a rack of lamb, with mashed new potatoes, asparagus, and the barest hint of mint. And an orange souffle for dessert. That had to be one of the seminal moments in the annals of nonsqtr's cookery. :D

My GF is overseas at the moment though, and won't be in town for the V-day celebration. I want to send her some flowers or something, don't know exactly what to do. Any ideas?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm...I don't know ask your wife. :D

brad cook

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nah, it has to be something special. :)