Help me plan on next buy please?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 23, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Okay, well, the band's talking about gigging in the near future, and I want to be prepared, so I need to start setting my priorities on what I should buy. New amp? Bass? Other? Whatever it is, could someone make some worthy recommendations on what I should buy next. My current equipment is in profile.
  2. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    New amp. At least a mid-range 2x10 or a high-end 1x12 with 300 watts of power or more. Combo, head, rack... you're choice. If I were in your position - youngish (which I assume means not a ton of dough to lay out) and just starting a band - I would get a good used head and a good used cab.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'd say get a new amp. With the choice between a new bass or amp, I think you'd rather be loud enough than have a good tone that can't be heard. Get one with a minimum of about 250W. Without knowing what style of music you play, I'd say a 4x10 would probably be fine.

Edit: I second used.
  4. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Generally speaking a good rig will make even a lower-end bass sound good. Plus you're going to need some wattage to play live.
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Should I sell my SWR amp when I plan on buying a new amp as well? If so, what are the best means for doing this?
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It's totally up to you. If you're going to sell it though, you can do it on the Talkbass classifieds, Harmony-Central, or Ebay (if you're 18+).