Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me plan on next buy please?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 23, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Okay, well, the band's talking about gigging in the near future, and I want to be prepared, so I need to start setting my priorities on what I should buy. New amp? Bass? Other? Whatever it is, could someone make some worthy recommendations on what I should buy next. My current equipment is in profile.

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    New amp. At least a mid-range 2x10 or a high-end 1x12 with 300 watts of power or more. Combo, head, rack... you're choice. If I were in your position - youngish (which I assume means not a ton of dough to lay out) and just starting a band - I would get a good used head and a good used cab.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'd say get a new amp. With the choice between a new bass or amp, I think you'd rather be loud enough than have a good tone that can't be heard. Get one with a minimum of about 250W. Without knowing what style of music you play, I'd say a 4x10 would probably be fine.

:bassist:

Edit: I second WoodyGroves...buy used.

4. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Generally speaking a good rig will make even a lower-end bass sound good. Plus you're going to need some wattage to play live.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Should I sell my SWR amp when I plan on buying a new amp as well? If so, what are the best means for doing this?

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It's totally up to you. If you're going to sell it though, you can do it on the Talkbass classifieds, Harmony-Central, or Ebay (if you're 18+).