Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me please, I don't have a teacher :- (

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, May 4, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Hello all, I got my first bass this thursday, its a fender standard jazz V. I also bought the book called Fingerboard Harmony for Bassby Gary Willis, and the Ear training book. These books are cool, but I think I need something even more basic, such what fingers to use to pluck and when to use which finger to pluck strings from certain positions. I want to at least use 3 fingers for plucking...Does anyone know any sites, books, videos, ANYTHING that I can use to get this information? Getting a teacher is not an option for me. Not until the school year ends.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    www.libster.com

one book i like is funk fusion bass by jon liebman, it has many a useful exercise

also building walking bass lines by ed friedland is a good one.

both these books are good for beginners to advanced students imo

3. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    cool, those books have finger techniques in them?

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi SpeeDFX. Welcome to the wonderful world of bass. :) I, too, have "Fingerboard Harmony For Bass". Now, I don't know about you, but this is my opinion on that book: Not sure if that's a good beginner book or not. I mean, it starts off easy then things get difficult. And it doesn't exactly start off with some basic things you need to know, at least if you are a beginner (I'm meaning simply learning the names of the strings and notes on the fretboard first, etc.) I've been playing for 2 years and some things towards the end of the book are still confusing.

One book I have, that I'm always recommending here, is Mel Bay's "Note Reading Studies for Bass" by Arnold Evans. Very good in that it goes from very basic things to advanced studies. I don't have that Gary Willis "Ear Training" book but that sounds like a good book to have. :)

Good luck!
    Stephanie

5. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Thanks a lot stephanie, I'll see into that book. Besides the basics of reading and notation. I actually need something that will instruct me on the physical aspects of playing the bass. like how to hold your fingers, and how to pluck, and how to use your fingers for fretting etc... Does that book go into that?

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Unfortunately no. I do have a book. "How to Play Bass" by Arnie Berle that shows you a little bit of finger technique, but only like a page. Also, Bunny Brunel's "Mel Bay's Complete Book Of Bass Essentials". He shows you in the first couple pages of the book. Most bass videos, I assume (and since you cannot get a teacher at the moment), would be better in showing you technique. I have "Getting Started With Your Fender Bass" (heh, it came with my Squier pack :D). Ray Riendeau shows you some finger technique on it. It's really hard to learn the physcial aspect of the bass without someone there to show you.

Also, best thing to do at the moment, is hang over at TB's technique forum. Lot's of threads on proper positioning, finger technique, etc. etc. that you may be interested in.

Cheers,
    Stephanie

7. My music teacher picked out a beginning bass method book for me; one that he uses on other beginning bass students as well. It is called BASS TODAY - A Beginning Electric & Acoustic Bass Method by JERRY SNYDER.

• Lead & Bass Lines
      Chords & Arpeggios
      Solos & Accompaniment
      Pop - Rock - Classical - Latin - Country -Folk - Blues

This book has absolutely no tab in it. And it will help you greatly with your fingering. (Throughout the book it details which finger to use by using numbers 1(index) - 4(pinky). As far as using your ring finger when plucking, I don't have anything to recommend. That is how Les Claypool plays, and I don't think you're ready to play his lines yet!

What I'd recommend to you is to get down to a music store that sells sheet music. Ask them to order this book for you. I don't think they even have this book at sheetmusicplus.com or not. Besides, you'll save money on S&H at a store that orders it.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There's another really basic book too. It is called "You Can Teach Yourself to Play Bass Guitar."
    It is really very basic and written in easy, simple to understand and friendly terminology and has humorous illustrations. It is part of a series of "You Can Teach Yourself" books.

It has many of the things you are asking about, what finger to put where, how to tune, how to read simple bass lines, different timing, etc. The one I bought years ago did not have a CD, but I believe the newer editions do, which is a tremendous help because you can hear how an example in the book is supposed to sound.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Lots of good options have already been suggested but if you have a Windows based PC check this out. It starts out very basic and can probably take you a long way. I would still suggest trying to find a teacher if possible.

The Interactive Bass