Help Me Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitmore, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    Hey guys first post on here but i was wondering if anyone has some tips for the problem i have run in to. It has come to my attention that my Ibanez Edb 600 bass is really a muddy sounding bass this was pointed out to me by the producer who was recording us. And basically i was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how to get a clearer sound out of my guitar.

2. Id just trade the bass, Those things just arent very good basses. But if you must, I guess boosting your treble on your amp ahould work, Ive only had a about a few weeks with this bass, And in those few weeks I played it 4 or 5 times because I didnt like it. Id trade it for something else, Maybe even another Ibanez. Like a SR500 or 400.
  3. Wow, I don't know if you'll get any helpful advise from this board... I hate to say it, but I've never seen a fan of the EDB series on TalkBass. I always see it constantly bashed and called a waste of money here. I think I'll watch this thread and see if someone actually DOESN'T bash it.

I pray that you get some help here!

BTW, I do like the EDB series, but I'm not an owner of one.

Good Luck,
  4. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    Thanks for the help i was thinking of trading in for the sr 500 but was not sure if it would be much better wut do u guys think of them?
  5. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    also is there any other reasonably priced basses that sound really good that i could trade for?
  6. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I have an EDC710. It's pretty nice, good tone, not muddy. Perhaps cut back on the lows/low mids a little. My current amp EQ is all but bass at 10, and bass is at 7.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The EDBs are pretty lousy basses, and that's coming from someone who's an Ibanez defender (3 of my 6 are IBZ) as well as defender of Luthite as a body alternative - the EBA and EDC sounds much better with the same material. Somehow they just messed up this series, which makes no sense as they've discontinued the As and kept producing the Bs. It also sucks because IMO the EDBs have the nicest body styling of the three.

In the short term (this recording project) I'd see if you can rent/borrow another or use the studio's bass (any decent one should have a P or J in-house.) I'd personally disregard suggests about re-EQing: clearly if the producer has brought this up, he's tried that and it's his job to get the best sound of the instrument. If he can't, he's either really bad or it "can't" be done.

Long-terms, it's worth selling and re-investing in another bass. Sticking to Ibanez, both the SR 4/500, SRX 500, and BTB 400 series are quality and worth trying out (It you can, the jump from SR-400 to 500 is worth it for the electronics alone.) Other basses that jump out in that price range ($500) are the Spector Legend, Yamaha BB614, Fender Geddy Lee used or Deluxe Active Jazz and G&L Tribute L-2000 Plus. That's new - the used market opens up a much larger offering to choose from. And if you think that you can't make a jump upward a few hundred dollars, just think of the costs of studio time to fix your Ibanez in the mix after. :scowl:
  8. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    Thanks for the tips ya i ended up using the guys bass he had there and it sounded great really clear and crisp so i am thinking i might replace the edb with the sr 500 because it doesnt seem like it is going to cost me much more than EDB did and it sounds like an excellent instrument
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    First off, I'm going to guess that if you're recording in the studio, then yer going direct, so amp tweaking is out. I'm not sure about the pickups in the EDB, but if they're standard shape/size you might be able to change them out for something a bit more tonally balanced.

Otherwise, do look for a new asked about one that's 'reasonably priced'...but around here, that could mean either $300 or $3000. What's your budget? Also, I think you should look at other basses beside Ibanez as well...There's nothing wrong with 'em, but there are TONS of other basses out there that could be in your price range.

I'd also suggest looking for a good used bass. You can usually get much more for your money with a decent 'previously owned' instrument.
  10. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    My budget is about 800-900 canadian i figure i can get a good 4-500 for the EDb under a yeafr old so any good basses? for 8-900 canadian
    sry vfor thhe spellingf kindsa drunbks at the momentgrs
  11. I'd just like to be like the third person to say, go for the SR500, it seems like a really really great deal IMO. If you're playing a bit more aggressive style of music, than try out the SRX500 as well. Also, don't forget that BTB, they're just killer all around basses.

Also, would like to second the idea of maybe purchasing outside of Ibanez. Spector, Schector, Peavey, Fender, and Tribute by G&L are some really good brands to take a look into in that range.