Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassandlax, Dec 31, 2001.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,
    im new to this board. i am just starting to play the bass, but i have played the guitar for 4 years. I have not yet bought my first bass and bass amp. this is where i need you guys' help. Ive been looking for a little while at basses and amps and i think i have narrowed it down. the amp i am currently looking at is the peavey tnt 115. i really like the feel of it and it has a great eq. its 450 at my local store. the bass i was looking at is the standard (mexican) fender jazz bass (4 string). I love the neck and it gets some great sound. I found this for 400$. I currently have about 700$ to burn and could make 100 more pretty quick. Are there any other amps/basses i should be looking at? i want something versatile and reliable. do u guys have any suggestions? how much wattage will i need to cut through drums, will i need a tweeter or just a 15", ect.? and finally, are the prices good on the amp and bass (both new)?

thanks guys, i really need this help and i appreciate it,

Joe

2. Ok, i saw a Peavey 115 used at a metal show, but the bassist D.I'ed into the PA so i have no idea how the amp coped. I personally am against combos, i like the freedom of having a separate amp head and a speaker cab. That way if i want to change or add another cab i can etc.

But to start off, the 115s are ok. Bass is about how it feels. If you like the feel and sound of it, can see yourself playing it, then buy it. Bassists have the worst G.A.S (Gear Acquistion Syndrome), i can assure you when u get some more cash you end up buying something bigger and louder and more expensive just because you can anyway. ;)

As for the bass its all personal preference. Is it suited to your style of music, i wouldn't play a fender jazz in my death metal band etc. Again if this one has stood out among all the rest then buy it. So too try as much and play as much as possible. You never know, there may be another music store with another bass that was better than the last.

If you can't cut over drums, hit your drummer (eh just hit him anyway), or D.I. (Direct Injection) into the mixing desk via a D.I box and let the PA do all the work.

:D:D

Merls

3. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks merlin
    i really like the feel of the jazz bass and the tnt 115 together, and I think that is what I will be purchasing, but can anyone tell me if the mexi jazz bass and the peavy tnt 115 are well made and reliable, ect. cause im not eager to pay someone to fix a truss rod or buy a new bridge anytime soon just like im not ready to rewire an amp or have to buy a new speaker, ect. can anyone tell me bout these, whether they are personal stories or 2nd hand reviews? thanks again in advance

joe

4. ok. I'm not too familiar with the basses etc (try asking that question in the Basses forum). As for the amp well i've only had to fix one and that was the tiny 20 watt Peavey Rage. The guy had it for about 6 years, played it 6 hours a day (he's somewhat of a freak but at least he can play guitar! :eek: ) Peaveys are pretty rugged, the rage i fixed still worked, just the inbuilt distortion stage died.

But by that time he was buying a new amp anyway.

:D:D

Merls

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    you should loook at the Ampeg B100R. everyone i know that has it loves it. its very loud for 100 watts, and it has a great rock tone. only $479 at musiciansfriend.com (see link) and i think its also the same at Guitar CEnter. these amps sounds especially good on fenders as well ;)

you should really check it ot but in the end its up to you.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Sounds like you've found a set up you are happy with. Can't get a better start than that. I am sure your tastes, wants and needs will change, but you gotta start somewhere. I say go for it.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Peavey has a pretty good reputation for reliability, so I doubt the TNT will give you any problems.

The MIM jazz basses are mass produced by machine, and the quality control at the factory isn't the greatest. Some MIM jazzes are great, and some aren't so great. I'd just make sure to play the one that you want to buy to make sure you like it.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've heard NOTHING but good things about Peavey reliablity. Just about everyone that has ever owned a Peavey says they last forever (simply because they're built like a tank). I highly doubt you would have any problems at all with your TNT. If you like the sound of it, by all means go for it. I'm not too impressed by them, but thats just me;)

As for the Fender MIM (Made in Mexico) Jazz....I own one myself, and am very fond of it. There are lots of people that frown upon these basses for the simple fact that the quality control is SO bad. It may take them 10 bad basses to get 1 good one. So, make sure you check it out really well. If you like the sound of it and see no major problems with it, have no fear in getting in because you'll probably be getting a great bass.

The only thing I see is that the price of that MIM Jazz seems a little steep to me for some reason. I bought mine a year ago and it was only like $290 for a 5 string, and thats brand new from a store that priced things so high they're now out of business:D According to <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com">Musicians Friend</a>, that price isn't too bad. I would definitely try and talk the guy that you're buying from down though. That just seems like a lot to me. I guess prices really can change quite a bit in just 2 years.

Anyways, good luck in your search!