Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me please!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BirdISgod, Mar 2, 2002.

1. BirdISgod

BirdISgod

Mar 2, 2002
    hello all, i just started playing bass, and am having trouble remembering where the notes are on the bass. For example, my teacher says play B flat, and I can't find it right away, even when I do find it, I have a lot of trouble figuring out where it is on the other strings. Does anyone know of a website that has something that can help me with this? Or do any of you have some tips for me? any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Get a cheap 79 cent notebook at Walmart and start writing everything you learn down in it. It will help you retain it in your brain. You'll also have it documented to read at your liesure.

4. plbassman

plbassman

Mar 2, 2002
    Milwaukee WI
    Keep it simple. Get a notebook as one person said. Above all, listen carefully to your teacher. Perhaps ask him/her for help with the following -

Play simple chromatic scales to start - that means open, 1st fret 1st finger, 2nd fret 2nd finger etc up to the 5th fret of each string to start.

Start on the low e string, play the note and sing the name of the note (e,f,f#,g,g#,a) at the same time.

Go the the a, d and g string to do the same thing.

This will help you memorize the lower scale of the neck and get your fingers working. Why sing? Singing 'e,f,etc' will help you begin to develop your 'ear' for the sound of the note you are learning to play as well as the chromatic scale you are playing.

You can work a single string all the way up to the 12 fret - that's the octave -and beyond too. But I suggest you start with the 1st 5 frets.

**Just remember - no sharps between b-and-c and e-and-f!

5. BirdISgod

BirdISgod

Mar 2, 2002
    thanks guys, that libster site helped alot, I already have a notebook that I write stuff down in, thanks again fellers.