help me PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleabass89, Oct 8, 2000.

1. OK I'm thinking of buying a DOD Bass 30 processor. It's $200. Here's the description in Musician's Friend:

<b>An Amp modeling, digital multi-effect bass system!
    Provides 5 bass amp models, 9 fretless simulations, 9 synth bass simulations, a 4-band built in programmable EQ, and built in bi-amp capabilaties. If that isn't enough, it then adds 4 programmable digital effects, an assignable expression pedal, and a phrase sampler.</b>

Can someone please tell me what alot of this means? I really don't understand all of it, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. Like Swimming

Like Swimming

Aug 10, 2000
    Have you gone to a store to try it out at all? If not, that's the best idea.
  3. Not that I'm a complainer, but would someone please tell me what this means? I might go to the store to try it out, but I still want to know what it means. Thanks
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you don't know what it means - why do you want it? Why not just concentrate on making music? ;)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what parts don't you understand?

6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Amp models are simulations of amps ! like the Roland COSM or the Line 6 stuff.

Fretless simulators do that sort of I dont know how.

Synth do the same thing as the Boss synth or moogerfooger stuff normally envelope filters LFO square wave distortion to simulate moog sounds

Eq you should know that

Bi-amp just that high goes one path low goes another

The digital effects 14 of em not 4 are the delay line/modulation type plus compression.

THe expression pedal is normally asigned to certain parameters normally the sweep on the wah gain on distortion delay time on delay and chorus etc

The phrase sampler is a device that records and replays sections of music with timestretch ie speed change without pitch change no pinky and perky for you (English 70's kids show)

I will end by saying its a strange day when mine is the most serious answer except of course John epitomy of reason Turner AND I agree with Bruce. The effects quality of these things are not that good and I think the casing is plastic.
    Its your choice and your ears. Happy Hunting.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Thank you - I just can't believe that someone would be "thinking of buying" something that they don't understand.

Maybe I should start marketing small black plastic boxes that cost $199, but have nothing inside them except a few circuits that generate different flashing lights at random.

I could advertise on the internet and say "The ultimate bass effect - everything you will ever need in one box! Advanced multi-linear gizmo modelling, 33 levels of random duplication, 19 bass imitations, unlimited modulation options, everything you can imagine" and in very small letters somewhere "as long as you imagine it yourself" ;)

How many would I sell?
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    :D as no stranger to sarcasm I can see where you are going with this but the bloke/guy did ask for an explanation. As an aside I think the answer is to have no product at all, get a large amount of hits on the internet and sell the company for a Million quid or so. Just remember where the idea came from. :)

Seriously some people value effects units more so than others. If I remember we got into a rather large debate on effects last time so I'll end agreeing with you again, sort of.

9. Hmmm.... Why are all you people (well most of you) jumping on my backs just because I'm asking for a more detailed explanation of the pedal? I understand most of it, but some of it seems a little vague and I want to know exactly what I'm buying, not just a measly paragraph flooding my brain with technical jargon and such. im not even sure if I'm gonna buy it. I'm on a budget of $200 and I just found out I can get it at for $160. I still might not buy it. I could always trade my P-bass back in for $300 (there's a special return option) and then use that $300 plus my $200 to buy a 5 stringer, whaddaya ppl say?:)
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Any banter on a forum is to be expected and normally friendly (it was from me) and also I attempted the question. The problem with gear and I know Bruce will agree is that its subjective and therefore what you like may be different to me and anyone else. Your last comment suggests that you have got a bit of the "I'm slightly bored with my setup lets change something" dont take this as back jumping because I am in the same position with amps.

If you like your P keep it. If your amp rocks keep it. I you must buy an effect buy a quality single unit. This way it doesnt hurt too much when you cast it aside. I bought a Boss CE2 chorus cheap used it twice on bass and got it out last night for guitar. The point is that its a flavour you dont cook with mint all the time, but get your meat and potatoes sorted.

Re a five some take to it some struggle, my advice and its just an opinion as all the above is, save your pennies and buy a five later (or a lot later) as well.I would suggest that you will get bored with it and mourn your Precision.
    I have a 4 a 5 a good amp loads of other stuff and still get bored, its called GAS and its a dead end.

GOt to go its 10 am here and I have got to go and try an amp I probably wont buy. Happy hunting see you around.

11. i agree with what you said about the bass, but, my amp doesn't rock. in fact it sucks! LOL well it's OK
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    :D you know what to save for then. See you around.
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's what I've seen too many guitarists and bassists that I knew do. They bought fancy gadgets such as the one you mention. They played around with them for awhile experimenting with different cool sounds, then took their gadgets to a band rehearsal and quickly discovered most of the exotic sounds do not fit within the context of most of the band's songs. They end up using only a small part of the gadget regularly.

Still, if you can afford the money for one to experiment with, then buy it and have fun. It does provide an education in what sounds you can extract from your bass and helps you recognize how a bassist you hear on a CD or ib a concert may have attained some cool and unusual tone. I still think in the end, you will actually regularly use only a few of the effects that the gadget offers.

Jason Oldsted
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's one time I agree with Bruce. Even I, a confessed gearhead, wonder why someone is going to buy a gizmo without knowing what it does. What will happen is you will by this thing with your 200 bucks, then, after spending an afternoon futzin' around down at GC find something you like 1,000 percent better, and it's only $99. Meanwhile, you're stuck with a $200 gizmo that you detest, and can't even get 25 bucks for it on e-bay.

By the way, wanna buy a BBE DI-100 with Sonic Maximizer circuitry in it? List $100, paid $65, sell $25. It sucks for reasons too minor to mention here. Maybe that's why they don't make the danged things any more.

Catch my drift?
  15. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    FB, DOD makes the "best" fretless simulators I have heard! I e-mailed them and said if they would just make a fretless stomp box they would sell a bunch. Notice there are none around. What do I know............
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I think this is the point - most people won't have actual experience of the item in question, but everyone can see that it is a bad idea to buy something just from reading the advertising! Unless you know why you want something, what it's going to do for you and how you can use it in your own situation, you might as well just be throwing your money down the drain. You will never get anything like what you paid for it if you re-sell and are probably going to lose out by at least $100 on the whole deal.

I was just trying to say this in a humorous way and to discourage anyone from taking this approach to buying gear. ;)
  17. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Just go out and buy a EH Bassballs and forget the multi-effects junk. Mars has 'em for $74.95...envelope filter with distortion, one switch and one dial -- simple enough, but it's a good sounding, quality unit that works well with a band (don't use it for every song, though as that could get annoying). Later...
  18. bassballs sounds good. i was also considering trying out that BOSS ODB-3 (or OBD-3) overdrive pedal.
  19. extreme

Mar 20, 2000

If you're into Flea's playing and style you should check out some kind of envelope filter effect. Flea actually used a Boss dynamic filter for the Aeroplane record...

"If you have to ask, you'll never know -- funky fleabass89 will not be told to go-wo-wo-wo..."
  20. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Fleabass, I myself being a lover for effects, mainly for fun, not to much for gigging, would love to help you out. However, I am a little curious, as others, as to why you would want to purchase something you have never heard before. Also, you said that your amp sucks. I would rather see someone spending the money on a good quality amp before purchasing effects units, especially if you are unaware of what they are and what they do. I know it's easy to jump onto the effects bandwagon, but get other priorities straightened out first. Don't take this as a personal attack, just some advice that will save you some grief down the road. As far as your question goes, what part of the decription in particuliar are you asking about?

IMO, these units are not very good. I have yet to try one that I really like. I personnaly go for good quality pedal units. But again, this is purely subjective. I have only three pedals that I use. EH Bassballs, Danoelectric Cool Cat Chorus, and EBS Octave pedal. For the price of one of these all in one wonder boxes, you could get two higher quality pedals.