Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me put my $300 to good use!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Melf, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Brice Fretless 6

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Warmoth Parts

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Processors, Pedals, etc.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. New Guitar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Spend $50 on books and save the rest for later.

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    My mom's going to get me a $300 something as a late high school graduation present. Only problem is, I don't know what to get. $300 is good for say, a processor, or a beginner bass, but not really for anything more than that. I was thinking about getting a fretless Brice 6 string, or possibly buying some Warmoth parts and learning how to put a bass together(buying the pups and electronics later). I'm also thinking of buying a new guitar; a used Ibanez or LTD comes to mind. Lastly, I could nix the gear, spend $50 on books, and save the rest for later. Suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to add the books option:(

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'd bet you could trade that $300 for a fretless MIM Jazz bass. That is all you would need for a while, possibly ever.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    hi melf,

....they did it to me and now i gotta do it to you.

$20 of the $300 could go towards becoming a supporting member here, then you still have $280 to get something nifty with. :D

that's exactly how i became a supporting member.

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ok, ok, I'll become a supporting member...now help me put my $280 to good use:)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ok. i just bought a micheal kelly acoustic fretless on ebay for a little over $300, you can get em cheaper though. they sell directly from the company with minor finish flaws. my finish flaw was an almost microscopic extra blob of paint on the underside of the neck that can't be seen nor felt. the bass is in better condition that most store bought basses.

don't know if you'd be even slightly interested in such an animal, but i'll tell ya - i can't seem to put mine down. i'm totally in love with it.

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Nahh, acoustic just isn't my thing. I can't stand the sound:oops: Thanks anyway though!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fixed it for you.:)

By the way, I'd go with the $50 option. Get the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book and DVD. You'll be within your budget and you'll enjoy them for a long time.

8. I gotta second that! :)

Melf, I just have the DVD, but, it's so easy to watch that you never get tired of it, and you'll learn a few things about Motown and the music biz in general.

If you don't want to buy Standing in the Shadows, I'd still vote for the $50/books option and save the rest for later. Don't buy a piece of gear just for the heck of it, save up for something you really want.

Just my $.02

Mike ;)

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Agreed. I have gotten Untold hours out of enjoyment out of both of those.

So you have about $230 left... I vote for a nice Avatar Cab, the B210 is right there in your price range. The shipping would push you past your budget by about $30, but maybe you can get an advance from your mom if she she's how well you've budgeted the rest of your money.

10. WHOA! That was almost a mid-cyber space collision! The same thought, and we were typing it at the same moment.

Scary Mary! :eek:

Mike

11. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    If i were you i would et a sx fretless jazz(or a really used fender one if you can find it), them accesories/books/movies.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Michael was right...save the money for something you really want later.

But, if it were me, I'd get an Avatar 210 since that's actually going to be my next gear purchase!:D

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Why dont you take your Mom out for a nice dinner and a movie, then save the rest for the Macdaddy rig?

MIke

14. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Originally posted by mikemulcahy

That was actually my first thought, but I'm in Mississippi attending college and she's in Alabama.

Well it looks like the books option won; I'm leaning towards the Motown idea. I could just defret my Squier and then have plenty left over so I'll probably end up doing that, thanks guys:)

15. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    If you can get to a music store and check one of these out, I highly recommend it. A whole bag of delay effects (delay effects are FUN) PLUS an awesome Loop sampler. I LOVE mine. The looper is more fun than any of the bass related gear I've acquired, EVER. It's a fantastic tool, a wonderous toy, and a great teacher. I know a lot of TB members would agree, and if not on the DL4(my personal choice), then at least on the value and fun factor of a looper of some sort.

I'm serious.

Do you need another bass?

More speakers?

Another amp?

BOOKS!? ;)

Get the DL4 (if you try it and like it that is)

16. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ok, I'll check out the DL4 as well. It's not more than $200 is it?

Side note: Check for $20 is in the mail:)

17. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You are a good man m8. well done.

Mike

18. Get some parts for a bass :D:D:D I got a Badass V for sale... :ninja: