1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me put some flats on my '62 AVRI P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigEarl, May 17, 2012.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Folks, I'm very confused. I want to go "old school classic" on my new AVRI, which means flats, but I am at a loss to know which of the many brands to choose from. On my other basses I have been using Hi-Beams (105s) and like the tension a lot, but it takes me months to get the strings our of "piano wire" mode and start to sound with some greasy, groovy thump. I tried Chromes but the tension was too high (that, and the string spacing on the AVRI neck radius is significantly higher than my other P's thus making it even more difficult to play!) I put a set of R Cocco's on but they make me sound a ringy and, well, yuck.

Anyone have an experience with flats on an AVRI that sound thumpy and doesn't require Hulk Hands to manipulate? Thanks in advance.

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    TI Jazz flats. Got 'em on my 62 P-bass and like 'em a lot. Tension is low, good mids & reasonable hi's. Other brands may be thumpier, but these are good. Want more thump from them? Just roll off the tone control, and/or put some foam under the strings at the bridge.

3. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I wholeheartely second the recommendation to install TI Jazz Flats. The longer I have them on my basses, the better I like them! I also like both D'Addario Chromes and DR Legends Flats, but the TI Jazz Flats are a big step above either of the others, in my opinion.

4. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS Precision Flats...more old school thump than TIs at about a third of the price.

Sorry, but TIs have too much upper midrange response for my taste.

5. Yeah, what he said! ^^^^^^^^^

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    .....and they last forever.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    TI Jazz Flats!!!

8. This +10000000

GHS or La Bellas are the only choice, if you want old-school classic thump. Chromes & TI Jazz flats, as nice as they are, will not quite get you there.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Subscribed!

I have stock fender NPS rounds on my telebass (modern player).
    I've tried Roto 66's, Roto 66 nickels, fender 40 - 100 nickel rounds and all had something desirable to offer (once I set them up).

It's a dark horse, and I want to try a little bright flat action... :)

I've got Chromes, GHS pressurewounds, and Roto 77's in the works... damn this string business costs a lot.:bag:

I'll likely get longer life out of the flats... but I like my rounds better as they deaden up.... the Roto 66 nickels on my other (Harley Benton $100 PJ bass) and they're getting dull with the help of a month or two's neglect. Clean the bass but not the strings... At least for the duration of this experiment:smug:

Thanks. I've got some work to do when the strings arrive, as I've to record them VS. the rounds (even if they're a little old (2 months of moderate use, say 100 + hours with fairly sweaty fingers...)

>> EDIT: in response to the OP's query: Try deadening those rounds baby, and eq'ing / tone attenuating those high mids out to unleash the thump.
    '62 AVRI P is a super tone monster... or so I hear. Try what the person above me suggested... La Bella Deep Talkin flats! high tension but unbeatable thump. So I hear. The mudbuckers on my tele don't need a trad flat to go thumpity thump.
    I can do that with rounds!

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just put some LaBellas on my 62' AVRI. I like em' so far, and I like em' better than Chromes I had on earlier. I don't find them to be high tension either, but I do have the FL set on. Nothing wrong with Chromes, just not what I was looking for on that bass.

I can't wait until they are nicely broken in and dead.

Roto 77's are high tension. I had those on one of my other P's. I ended up taking them off because they were just too much.

11. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    La Bella 760FL or GHS Precision Flats will do the trick.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    GHS Precision Flats for me. The TI's have a great sound, but it's NOT the traditional flatwound sound I'm after. The LaBellas I've tried over the decades (including the Old Originals which are/were later marketed as the "Jamerson" set) had all the thump and kick you'd want, but finding a precise note in them was difficult. The TI's sing very well, but just don't sound like what I hear in my head for flats.

I've had a set of GHS (actually the Lakland Joe Osborn set which is the same string with a slightly different gauge E string I think- different by 1/1000") on my '83 AV '62 since at least 2004, maybe longer. They thump with a definite note, the tension is more similar to the rounds I use (mostly DR Hi-Beams and Sunbeams) than either the much less taut TI and the much more taut LaBellas, and they are very stable.

John

13. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Think I'll try the GHS Percision Flats first, then work my way up the price spectrum (TI's being the top $ end) until I find that sweet spot of Tension/Thump/Price ...in that order.

Thanks all!

14. Tigger Bangdang

Tigger Bangdang Warrior Endorsing Artist

Feb 8, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    La Bella Jamersons. Done.

15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    GHS Precision Flats. I've got a 16-year-old set on a MIM P-Bass, and I love them.

16. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    TI Jazz Flats got em on 3 of my basses - love them...

17. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    LaBellas are the brand for that old school sound because those were the only strings that were available way back. I like the 760 FLs the best. Very nice strings with a decent mid range presence, not to bright, and not too dull.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a long-standing fan of Labella Deep Talkin' Flats in the light gauge (.043-.104) or standard gauge (.045-.105).

On a "Beatle Bass", I like the Labella Hofner Beatle Bass strings. They're actually a medium scale string, but that's what's needed on the basses with a floating bridge and trapeze tailpiece.

Over time, I find my preference has shifted to strings on the lighter gauge side.

19. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I think you'll like them. The sets I have on my instruments have held up well over the years, and have only improved in sound. They're also the most comfortable strings I've ever played, with good tension and very smooth windings. The only other strings I know of that sounds better are Pyramids because of their nickel wrap. For the money, GHS flats are my go-to strings.

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Another vote for the GHS Precision Flats. At the price, it's a cheap gamble. And to me there's no reason to spend any more on a string. They do exactly what I want them to do.

KO