Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me put togheter a "custom" Carvin.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pestilent, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Hello, I'm new here on the forum. Well I've got about $1200 to spend on a bass(my first).

So I was thinking of putting togheter a Carvin "custom".
    Been looking at the LB75.
    These specs are what I've been looking at so far:
    Neck-thru
    Walnut body
    Maple neck with ebony fretboard
    Tung oil finish.
    Fretted, 24
    HB in bridge, J99 neck.
    Strap locks

So, I'm wondering, is the wood combination a good choice for my playing style? I mostly play metal, death and techy stuff(Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Cynic, Martyr etc).

Also, there's some options regarding the frets. I can choose either Dunlop Jumbo or Low Wide frets.
    If I choose the Jumbo, will that make my neck higher, and string spacing larger?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    This is your first bass? Interesting that someone would spend so much on a first bass.

That setup sounds fine. Just a word of warning, if you ever have to send it back for repairs, don't expect anything to happen unless you call them and yell at them daily. If it won't cost you an arm and a leg to repair it locally, go that way instead of shipping it out. Based on my experiences with Carvin's customer service, I would never order another instrument from them again.

3. Snarf is right about the first bass thing...

Honestly, I love Carvin.

However, I did not like the LB75.

I currently own an LB70PF, BB70P and a BB75, all of which are fantastic instruments that have never required any repairs (though I have spoken to the rep's at Carvin and they were very helpful.)

Wood choice is actually quite irrelevant, as an Alder or Swamp Ash body with a Maple neck can cover the same ground that let's say a Walnut body can.

I'm not sure about the frets, though.

Good luck.

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like you're gonna' get a five string version of this:

[​IMG]

I think that configuration will suit your purpose fine. Just be aware that walnut is kind of heavy.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Walnut is heavy. I have a Carvin Claro Walnut fretless 6 string. Once I replaced the electronics with Bartolini, it was much better. The only thing I don't like is the weight. The set can get a little long with a heavy bass on your shoulder.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you're worried about the weight thing, get a wider strap. I found my 6 string to be pretty heavy, and I got a 4" (I think) wide strap, and I like it much better.

7. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    IMO, subsitute swamp ash or alder to lighten it up. If you not gonna slap, stick with the low wide frets.

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I love my LB75. Marcusallen doesn't like that model. Different strokes, I guess. Mine is alder with a maple one piece neck, ebony fretboard. The one upgrade on the LB 75 that I would suggest would be the 5W asymmetrical neck. It is definitely worth it. Carvins are fantastic instruments priced far below what "boutique" models cost. It this is your first bass, you will have and enjoy it a looooong time! Good luck.

9. I'd do everything that you're doing...pickups, etc...make sure you get the coil tap

but I'd go with a Mahogany body and maple neck.

I'd also go with the P-series Piezo bridge pup, as well

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Make sure you know exactly what you want when you order. If you change any aspect of the order once it has been placed, they charge you $50. Also if you cancel before receiving the bass, they charge you a 10% fee.

Build time right now is about 7 weeks, just so you know.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Dude....please don't spend $1200 on your first bass!

Buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38079&item=7335528881&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7335175757&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7334196848&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

or this (the camera is off, the color is cinnamon)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16222&item=7333998531&rd=1

There are just too many good basses at the $1200 price point and I would STRONGLY caution you against blowing it on a Carvin before you know more about A) the kind of music you'll be playing and B) the full range of choices.

12. dude, 1200 on a first bass... no way man, i dont care if youve been playing guitar for 90 years, no way in hell you should be spending 1200 on your very first bass...

i definately think you should shoot a bit lower, as Dr. Phunky Pants has suggested some basses that i might bid on myself.

im not trying to be a downer, or to rip on you, but you should get something cheaper that you can learn on and sling around for a year before you upgrade...

please tell me you worked for that money, and that mommy and daddy arent just handing it to you...

lastly, if you do decide to get a high priced bass, you can do much better than carvin custom for that price... you need to check into a peavey cirrus majorly bad. also check out www.basscentral.com, they have literal ass-loads of uber cool gear to chose from, and are the nicest bunch of blokes on the planet that deal in bass from what ive heard.

~Ryan

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd argue against the tung oil finish; it's not durable at all. The J99 hums, so take that into account. About the frets: jumbo and low wide sound cool and totally heavy, but if you haven't tried them, you might want to reconsider. They're like speed bumps if you play "techy" stuff.