Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me read my GK 800RB.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    [​IMG][/IMG]

help me understand these knobs and buttons. :help:

1) the -10db button by the input. what is it for? all i can tell is it just kills the output.

2) why is there a volume and a master volume? would you ever have one up more than the other?

3) level????? basically sounds like it gives it a little more output and a little more punch but seems to distort as you go higher up.

4) what in the world is frequency?

5) what is the footswitch input for?

:help:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) For high output basses. Some actives can send a pretty hot signal, so there's a pad, so it doesn't send the preamp into distorting

2) If you have the regular volume cranked, and the master volume lower, you can get a grinding, tubey/overdrive sound. Some prefer this. Or, you can have the level high, but the Master lower, so if you're recording, you can have low volume, but a powerful, clear signal going to the board. The latter is the original intention, I believe.

3) So you can boost your level/volume with a footswitch (say, during a solo) or really crank the boost, adjust the volume , and get some grit/overdrive sound in your signal.

4) It's part of the cross over. It's where the cutoff is that divides the signal into the high end (tweeter) and low end (speakers). Varying levels of brightness, or whathave you. Handy if you use GK's biamping cabs.

5) Footswich can control the boost function, so that you can do #3 with your foot.

Help? (Former GK700RB owner, btw)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Brendan did a fine job of answering your questions... You should be able to get a copy of the owner's manual free from http://www.gallienkrueger.com

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  5. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
  6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yes it does.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What wanted to say has already been said,
    but...

:eyebrow:

And I thought it was quite intuitive and easy to use - at least if you read what's written above the buttons.... :rolleyes:
    You remind me of my Mum - what was easy and inuitive for me was confusing and difficult to undersand for her... or maybe am i just easily managing to figure out stuff?

Anyway, a bit of experimenting around would get you where you want to... unless you do something terribly wrong

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I played through one of these babies for nearly 10 years. It's a workhorse of an amp. Feel free to check back with other questions. TB has a good number of experienced 800rb players.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thanks. i love it. i've been playing for 12 years out of a crappy old peavey combo. now i actually have tone and i love it. i have ZERO experience with amps so you will probably be seeing me post a lot of questions on here.

my fender mim jazz and my stingray are finally being done justice. :smug

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah cause -10db is common slang. :rolleyes:

and trial and error is not something i plan to use with a $1,400 piece of gear. :)

11. appler

appler Guest

$1,400 for an 800RB?
    I'd like to get one too, hopefully not at that price though. What cabinet(s) are you running it through? How's the volume?

Thanks!

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    no no the head and the cab together were 1400. i'm going through a 1x15 GK RBH. sounds sweet. plenty of volume for jam sessions and medium sized gigs.