Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me record on my computer...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Birthday is comin up, and I figured that I may want to get some home recording stuff for my computer. I'm really new to recroding, but from what I've gathered, I need a good soundcard intended for recording, a mixer, and a program.

Thing is, I don't know what materials would suit me as a beginner. What would be your guys' suggestions on what to buy? I'm lookin for cheap, but effective, you know something that will get the job done for me right now but wouldn't really make me feel bad when it turns out that I don't like it anymore (kinda like buying your first Squier P-bass).

My comp is a Compaq Presario 6000, Pentium 4 1.80 GHz, with 512 MB of RAM and about 61 gigs of free space. My current soundcard is still the same one that it came with which is SoundMax or something like that.

Thanks for the help!

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Get a SoundblasterAudigy Platinum (with the front-ported live-drive). I'm gonan pick one whever I get a job here, lol. Excellent sound quality and easy to record with- comes with some interesting software as well. I think it runs about $170 for the Audigy 2..if oyu look on the net you can find the Audigy 1 (practically the same thing) for $100. There is probably just as good or better stuff out tehre, but not that I know of.

3. Would I want to look for this kind of stuff at some place like Circuit City, or some place like Guitar Center?

Online MAY be an option.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Please stay away from Creative Labs. Better get a decent card, e.g. M-Audio/Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496 or Delta 44.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

6. I'm running Windows XP, and in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78332

I read this:

I don't know much about computers and drivers and all that jazz, so can someone tell what the signifigance is of an unsigned driver?

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Do Not Buy Audigy. It is bad news. I bought one and have had severe problems with it. I now own the 24/96 and it works GREAT!...ohh and its really* 24 bit.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It doesn't mean squat. The drivers haven't been certified by Microsoft, but that is irrelevant. My Midiman drivers (and most other drivers I use) are not certified, but work flawlessly.

9. Ok, i've gotten strong hints that the Audiofile 2496 may be sitting next to my birthday cake on the 12th.

So now I need to find a dependable but cheap mixer. I'm sure I can get it in the used market, but I am COMPLETELY new to mixers. I don't know what to look for. When selecting a mixer, what do you guys look for? Keep in mind that its use will probably be limited to small scale home digital recording, maybe with another friend or two at the same time. Are there any FAQ websites out there that will give me some info on mixers?

10. Everyone better give me suggestions for a mixer right now, or I'll throw a brick at your dogs.

Don't think I am kiddin you.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you just try it buddy!!!! you ain't gonna chuck them fast enough to get all 3 of my boys... plus, the crazy one eats bricks for lunch!

sorry, I don't know anything about mixers

12. It depends what you budget is for the mixer. Behringer are very cheap, and some people really swear by them, although in my experience I haven't enjoyed using them at all and would stay away (each to their own though). Alternatively, Soundcraft do some decent mixers at low prices (M-Series for example), and Mackie's VLZ-Pro range is reasonably priced as well and get very good reviews from what I've read.

13. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    From everything I have heard Behringre mixers are trash. MAckie and Soundcraft are king.

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i've heard that beri. is right up there with mackie.
    but hey?
    i use a powered crate mixer. a pa head really. the sound is really nice recorded. and it doubles as my pa. it only cost me $200 used. and its 350 watts.
    you just use the monitor out or the main out to record.

steve