1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me remeber my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzMarius, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hey there.so the very first bass i played ( it was my initiation ) was a Jazz Fender. i really don't remember nothing else about the model... MIJ, MIA, MIM, really don't know.

i do remeber some things.i played it in 2003, or so, it was tobaco sunburst ( it may be some other kind of sunburst...), maple neck with black block inlays. it was passive, 4 strings and OH JESUS HELP ME!!! the best neck i touched!!! so smooth, so fast, like butter!! i thought ( back then ) that it was a bad bass....weak output, bad noise....BUT!!! i was playing through a crap 8" or less yamaha guitar combo.

i saw some pics yesterday of it ( just a tiny part of the neck.... :( ) and i so missed it.

oh, it had a grey leather hardcase with the "Fender" logo on it.

i so loved that bass....

if anyone of u fender gurus know something.... i would love to know it

2. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    If it had a hard case then it's likely an MIA.

3. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    The only ones I can see with black block inlays have a natural finish. All the 70s re-issues I can find with sunburst finishes have silver block inlays.

4. i could be wrong on this, but i recall hearing/reading that MIMs and MIJ models don't come with maple necks, mainly rosewood.
    sounds so me like it was an American one..
    also, jazz basses just ARE noisy when you have one pickup engaged cos they carry single coils..

5. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    The new MIM models come with maple necks. Doesn't hold much relevance to the OP, though. Just thought I'd clarify.

6. i am 100% it had black block inlays! not quite sure about the finish... 100% sure it was maple also! about the noise, it didn't have noise, just that, that crap combo made it sound like bull****.

i saw around here, but not quite much, some maple/black block inlays fenders and that is very sexy...

why was i so dumb back then? if i knew this, i would have bought it.it was our church's but they didn't know anything about basses nor any other instruments..just that : out there there guitars, drums, pianos and basses.... and that's about it!

i know i could have gotten that for a very very shameless price...

7. i played a warwick, some ibanezes, peavey, kohler (spanish copy brand...),yamahas, but that fender!!! oh JESUS, i am just gonna go crazy.i play my Bongo and i love it, but man, that NECK!!! was the best thing i ever played!!!!!

Edit: like silk combined with butter, smooth and slippery.it was a joy to slide to a note and the intonation was extremely sexy ( in terms of acoustic ).u could hear the wood singing.
    :bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

8. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Well Squier do a Vintage Modified with black block inlays and a natural finish with maple fretboard. I know they come with Fender cases but I'm not sure if this model COMES with a hard case.

[​IMG]

9. it was 1000% Fender. i can read :p ! and, i really don't think it was natural.i am pretty sure it was sunburst...or somekind of that finish.i remeber quite good it was a 2 tone paint...so, no natural.

10. maybe i am halucinating....but i believe seeing in the pic i saw yesterday some kind of contouring on the neck.maybe it was the cam. i'll try to get that pic scanned and see if that can help.
    but like i said, u can see just a tiny bit of the neck.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can't help with yours, but mine was a Hondo "jazz" bass. Big, heavy, and expensive as I recall. Maybe $300 or so. Of course, that was over 30 years ago. I do remember my first "real" bass - a 1976 white Rickenbacker. Obviously, I was a big RUSH/Geddy Lee fan.

12. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I so dearly love that Squier. It's weird that I'm saying that, never thought I would!
    Anyway, I think you're Halucinating...Or someone swithed out the necks.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Sunburst /Maple/black blocks sounds like an early 70's Jazz to me.

The grey case could be a very diry/dusty Black Tolex case, which would be correct for an early 70's Jazz.

14. the engine

the engine Guest

Go about half way down the page on this web site. Sounds like what you're talking about. This one is a '94 Fender Japan Jazz. I own a '93 and it plays flawlessly!

http://www.guitarjapan.com/special.html

You could always go to the church and ask them who they sold it to. Good luck!

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Damn, this Bacchus just kills me each time I see it on that japan site.

[​IMG]

16. i thought about an early 70's jazz to ( as i saw some of them on the net ) but i only saw natural finish.

i believe this was it...

if u watch closely u can see some black line on the edge of the neck ( but i guess it's an optical ilusion

[​IMG]

P.D: that church didn't sell it ( i believe ) like i sayd, they don't know to much about instruments.i guess they still have it.

thanks guys!!

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its not an optical illusion, that neck is bound.

18. so, i'm not halucinating?

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats what i said