1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me revamp my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Afalex1, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Afalex1

Afalex1

May 13, 2008
    Arkansas
    I am currently playing in a STP/Ausioslave type band with a little funk feel mixed in. I guess that is the best way I can describe it. I have a Tobias Killer Bee 4 string going through a GK 750 RB-II to a GK 210 RBH and an Aguilar GS 112. I have enough power to cut through our 3 piece, but I just can't find the tone I want. I had an SWR
    SM-400 head through the GS alone for a while and liked the tone, but the head bit the dust and it wasn't enough power alone. I am thinking about going to an all Aguilar rig, but am unsure which direction to go with the cabs. I like the DB 750 head and the gs 112, but I want to make sure I get a cab setup that will handle a variety of venues (size differs big time) and allow me to play different styles of music without worrying about being able to get the right tone. I want that huge full range sound and mid punch!

I want to keep the GS 112. What other cab should I get? I plan to switch back to a 5 string in the future too so making sure that low "B" is heard and is tight is important. Let me know what you would do if you were the situation.

Sorry long thread. Thanks for the help.

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You might not like the tone of the GK.

Try a Sansamp BDDI or VT in front of it. You might like that sound better, who knows?

3. I agree on the Sansamp, that might be just enough of what you're looking for. I was very pleasantly surprised with my Bass Driver and can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

Other than something like that, the only thing I can suggest is to try out different amps and see what grabs you.

I'll put a plug in for the Genz Benz Shuttle... I was trying to warm up my sound, so I picked up a 6.0 and am very pleased with it. The power/weight ratio is great and I really like the sound. The tube preamp/solid state power amp give it a nice combination of the warmth I wanted with the punch I like. Power-wise, the Shuttle 6.0 would probably be too much for your rig, but the 3.0 might be what you're looking for?

5sg.

4. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    I Would try out a 410. try to borrow one for a gig before you make a purchase your unsure of. Sounds like you have enough headroom with that amp but lacking in the
    speaker dept....

good luck.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You might not like the tone of the GK.

Try a Sansamp BDDI or VT in front of it. You might like that sound better, who knows?