Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me rig a PA system...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need a garage-band level PA.. maybe good enough for outdoor punk shows in backyards... stuff like that.

It will mainly be used for vocals and drums... the bass and guitar mic'd only if we really need to, and even then, not gonna be that loud through the PA.

I know Munji hates carvin, but I'm broke, my buddies are broke... and i've seen the abuse carvin can take... we use it at school, and idiot kids are doing all kinds of stupid stuff with the PA.

I'm thinking 600w would suffice... stage monitors for us onstage, and 2 speakers out to the crowd.

I have a 12-channel mixer... so we are OK there, me thinks.

so, carvin DCM600, and what carvin speakers would get the job done?

(And if you know something better and cheaper, please feel free to tell me... even used stuff. But only if it is already on Ebay and i could buy it soon, not have to sit and wait for months)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the JBL 12" 2-way are nice... put on stands as PA or lay on ground as monitors. Get a 500lbs poweramp from a pawn / rental / eBay...

3. Yep, I bought a pair of JBL 2-way monitors and recommend them. For larger gigs I use them on the ground as monitors, for small gigs I have used them as main speakers on a stand, they worked great. I also have a pair of Yamaha 2-way monitors that are almost as good as the JBL's.

I would NOT put any bass through your PA setup. Unless you have really good main speakers, the main speakers won't reproduce the bass frequencies well, so you wind up using a lot of your available power on bass that won't even be heard. Just run vocals through the PA, though a little bit of electric guitar or acoustic guitar is fine too. (In fact, I run the 50 Hz filter on my QSC poweramp because even my set of 3-way mains can't reproduce bass well below 50 Hz.)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't hate Carvin. I just don't like the way it sounds. For the money, Carvin is OK. Their mixers have good feature sets, their amps have lots of power per dollar, and their speakers sound OK. I don't see too much complaining about reliability, but maybe a little about customer service. I'd put them on par with Peavey, and a couple notches above Behringer, whom I also don't hate, but can't stand. If Carvin fits your budget, go with it.

BTW, I think Carvin builds some of the best-looking and best-built basses out there (comparable in fit and finish to the Laklands, Sadowskys and Pedullas of the world). I think their electronics are not as good as some of the boutique builders but, hey, you can always swap them out. So why don't I own one? Well ... it says Carvin on the headstock.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'll sand the logo off for ya, munji... i'll put any logo you want on it.

:p

Now, go into carvin.com and build me a PA for $1200 or less...

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Can you make it the shape of a Sadowsky?

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check it out.

Click here.

:)