Help Me Select A Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teetopkram, Oct 23, 2005.

1. teetopkram

Sep 19, 2005
    Greetings - due to an unexpected gift, I am now in the market for my first bass in the $500-600 range. I am primarily a guitar player looking for a bass to record on. I will be running through a Vox Tonelab (which I have) or a Sansamp (which I need to buy down the road), so I imagine I can get lots of tones through the processor. However, I am still looking for a bass that will, on it's own, give me a wide range of tones.

I have played the following:
    - G&L Tribute L-2000 (I really liked it, but the neck was just a tad big)
    - Schecter C-4 (really liked it too, played well, but not crazy about the sound through the EMG HZs)
    - Fender Mexican Jazz (loved the neck and the feel, hated the sound and it didn't feel as well constructed as the US Precision, which I know is out of my price range and I didn't like the neck anyway).
    – Various Ibanez Soundgears in the price range (the modern look and sound didn't appeal to me, sorry)

Any others you guys would recommend I take a look at? FYI - I will have to buy this new through one of the chains - rules out used and Carvin (unfortunately). I'd love to have the Fender American Jazz, but its over $1000 on most websites.

thanks for your help.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Those Fernandes ones are pretty sweet for the money!