1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Select A Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teetopkram, Oct 23, 2005.

1. teetopkram

teetopkram

Sep 19, 2005
    Greetings - due to an unexpected gift, I am now in the market for my first bass in the $500-600 range. I am primarily a guitar player looking for a bass to record on. I will be running through a Vox Tonelab (which I have) or a Sansamp (which I need to buy down the road), so I imagine I can get lots of tones through the processor. However, I am still looking for a bass that will, on it's own, give me a wide range of tones.

I have played the following:
    - G&L Tribute L-2000 (I really liked it, but the neck was just a tad big)
    - Schecter C-4 (really liked it too, played well, but not crazy about the sound through the EMG HZs)
    - Fender Mexican Jazz (loved the neck and the feel, hated the sound and it didn't feel as well constructed as the US Precision, which I know is out of my price range and I didn't like the neck anyway).
    – Various Ibanez Soundgears in the price range (the modern look and sound didn't appeal to me, sorry)

Any others you guys would recommend I take a look at? FYI - I will have to buy this new through one of the chains - rules out used and Carvin (unfortunately). I'd love to have the Fender American Jazz, but its over $1000 on most websites.

thanks for your help.

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Those Fernandes ones are pretty sweet for the money!