1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me select the correct pre amp for my Lakland!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spectorbass83, May 9, 2010.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    So the time has finally come...I am gutting my Lakland 55-01 and throwing in a fresh set of MK5CBC's :hyper:

Now..I am a little bit confuzzled with selecting the pre amp..I know that I want a Bart NTMB but I am not sure which configuration I will need :meh:

Here's where I'm looking -
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-ntmb.htm#

Which one do I need to get???
    My 55-01 has a volume (push/pull active/passive), treble, mid, bass and blend. The closest match I see is the 5.2 A/P -
    2 Pickup - 5 knob configuration which has...

- Volume (with Active/Passive push-pull)
    - Blend
    - Treble
    - Mid (push/pull freq selector)
    - Bass

My bass has all of the above except no push/pull Mid freq selector. Will this matter??

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Anybody.....? Bueller...??? Anyone?

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    It isn't a matter of what you need. Its a matter of what you want.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Bart preamp you're looking at is a fine replacement for the MK-1 preamp that comes with the 55-01.

Mike

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    K I know I WANT the Bart pre amp but I just need help selecting the right fitment. Should probably clarify that in the title

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the right fitment". The Bart you're looking at has 5 knobs, and the 55-01 has 5 holes for controls. Is there something else you need to know about either the bass or the preamp?

Mike

7. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The push/pull mid selector will work and be a pleasant upgrade.

But if you want the bass to sound amazing, get an East preamp. It will blow your freaking mind! They are worth every penny.

8. or if you want something different a la Wal, get an ACG EQ-02, they rock (once you get the hang of it)

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Do you think Wal-like tones would be do-able with Nordy Big Singles and the ACG EQ-02?

An acquaintance has a 55-01 fretless that I've wanted for it's playability for a while, But the electronics are dead. I'd like having a fretless that felt like my 55-02. But the more different the basic tone, the better.

10. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The preamp would do OK for the Wal sound, but I don't think the Big Singles would sound much like the Wal pickups.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, very different sounding. Wals are thick, yet bright. And they are humbuckers, so they have that humbucker tone.

Stay tuned and I'll have those %$#@*&! Wal clones out pretty soon. :)