Help me select the new (mini)monster...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Dual 1x12 Cabs

18 vote(s)
  2. a 4x8 and a 1x15

3 vote(s)
  3. 4x8 + 1x12

3 vote(s)
  4. 1x12 + 1x15

2 vote(s)
  5. Dual Front Ported Carrots

5 vote(s)
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
  1. Ok...I've come into the realization that I own a small vehicle and I can't always borrow an SUV to cart around my rig...It's not THAT big(Avatar 4x10) but it's cumbersome to drag around...Here's what I'm after..

• Good 5 string Response...Not too much Rumble, but a Round Bottom End nonetheless
    • Multiple Cabs(For increased Volume and Versatility)
    • Punch and Groove, and all that Jazz
    • The ability to handle a Rock Show, or my Jazz Band gigs(With a QSC RMX1850HD)

I think that's got it...I'm needing punch for the rock and the solid bottom for both the rock, and the Jazz....I was thinkin 12's would handle a walloping and give me the bottom I need...So Check my Poll...And leave thoughts, brand suggestions....Biamping suggestions...That sorta stuff...

My Preamp(Yamaha PB-1) has a crossover, and if need be, I'll biamp...Just gimme some advice guys...I'm dying luggin this big bass-tard around

Keep Rockin(Or Jazzin, bluesin...whatever) :bassist:

P.S. Once I figure out what I'm lookin for...If you got it...Wanna trade for my 4x10?Lmao
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I voted for dual 112's, because alot of guys I have read about really like the aguilar 112's or those bag end 115's.

I would also suggest schroeder, a 1212 or 1210 would handle everything you describes and thensome.

Check into aguilar, bag end, and schroeder.

3. Another reason why I was lookin for multi Cab, is I leave my rig currently in storage at the music hall here at ETSU...So I was wantin to leave one cab there, and one cab at my apartment, and just transport my rack back and forth...I was thinkin either an Avatar 1x12 and something along the lines of the Avatar Compact 15s...But I'm wantin to know what would probably be the most versatile...AND have a good amount of volume to compete with whatever guitars I've got to fight with...And keep up with the 6 trumpets, 4 Bones, and 5 Saxes...Guitar and Piano....Practice I'll be able to swing one cab but outdoor shows I'll need the second cab to compensate...
  4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Try the bag end stuff:

I have had great success using 1 for rehearsals and small gigs and 2 for larger venues!

Maybe the compact modular route will make you think twice about your "rack" as well.
  5. Doubt it...I can handle my rack being 50+ lbs...I like the power...and the flexability....I hope to eventually grab another preamp...And make it more versatile...But the Cab weight, transporting that big of a cab and my rack vs. two small cabs and my rack....I can't find a head that's got my power amp beat for power...and I love my Yammy Pre...

I looked at the BagEnds...And I'd love to have a pair...But I'm thinkin Price(I know I can get 'em for 300 a piece used) but I can get other cabs for less....and my rack won't sit on top of them without sticking out on the sides(I'm a little too obsessed with cosmetics, lol....
  6. How did I know there'd be some smarta$$ vote for the Carrots, lmao :D C'mon guys gimme some cool ideas...I'm gettin antsy!!

7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    some might say I'm biased or crazy (I'm a little of both) I love the Aguilar gs112 and the GS112NT (no tweeter) is a little cheaper, but great bottom on it. I'm not sure if avatars will give you as good of a bottom as aguilar. my rig only weighs 31 LBS and has 1000w into 4ohms!!! Tech21 RBI with a stewart world 1.2 amp.

check out schroeder cabs they've got a 28 LB Mini12+ and I've heard that alot of former 410/115 players really like the schroeder 1210 cab 47 LB 850w !!!

check it out!
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Search the Schroeder megathread for 1210....
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I use a 2x10 & a 1x12. I like the idea of 2 1x12's though.
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  11. I voted for a 4x8 and 1x15 only because that's what I'm using. I don't know if it's for you or not. :eyebrow:
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, my vote was for two Bergantino 1x12's, with an "other" sidebar for two EA VL-208's, but if Bag End is too expensive, then both of these may be off the list.

13. I voted 2 112s also.I gigged with a pair of Avatar 112s and they worked great,plenty of low end and good mids.One works good for practice or real small rooms but two will cut almost any gig.You might check out Dr Bass cabinets too.A pair of used Bag End 15s or Aggie 112s would be my choice for used cabinets for not much money.
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    How about a pair of acme B2's? they are light and prtable, and will give a hellishly big bottom end if you so wish to have one. A pair of 8 ohm B2's will work perfectly with your power amp...
  15. I'm lookin at the GS112's...But Can the 300W speaker handle an 1800W Amp? I know the whole "you can put any amp with any speaker if you control the volume right" stuff...But I'm a little inexperienced with such a large amount of power(Which is why I got a 1400W 4x10) and how to control the volume without damaging the speaker...

I like the reviews I've read...That the Aggies have a nice warm round booty(Couldn't we all use more warm round booty?)

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I went with 4x8 and 2x12. I like the tone, nice and quick.
  17. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    "the looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand....spinal tap"
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you're worried about putting a 1400 watt amp to 300 watt speakers, you're now back in the realm of Schroeder 1210 or 1212 which are rated (conservatively I think) at 850 and 1000 watts.
    I've run my WT800B bridged at 1100s thru the 1210, noooo problems.
  19. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    What about this one?

Epifani UL-210 Bass Cabinet
    500 Watt 2x10" Bass Cabinet

Speaker: 2 x 10" 250W RMS Cast Aluminum Frame / 100W RMS Tweeter
    Frequency Response: 40hz - 16khz
    Power Rating: 500W RMS (1200W Peak)
    8 or 4 Ohms
    Suggested Power Amp Wattage: 200W - 1000W
    Dimensions: 18 1/2" H x 23" W x 17 3/4" D
    Sensitivity: 100 db SPL @1W 1M