Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me set it all up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am working on setting all of my stuff up. I just picked up a Shure wireless guitar system, and it has a half rack receiver. I just ran into a problem getting all of my chains and loops together, and could you some help. I guess I will try to illistrate the chain that I used to have. Not sure it it was even the best way to do it:

Bass to Pedal board -> Boss Pedal tuner with mute -> compressor(usually off) -> sansamp -> main input to GK1001 – nothing in the efx send or receive -> speakercabs

But now, I have the wireless, which is located in a 4U SKB rack, along with the GK1001, and a 5 band parametric EQ. I must use the Sansamp DI because nothing else sounds as good, especially the DI built into the GK1001. So my source now starts at the rack, not the pedal board.

After reading a ton on this site, it looks like I need to start putting certain time changing effects in the effect send and return loop of the amp. My problem is two fold though. I am going to have to use 4 ¼ instrument cables to get to amp from my pedal board. Is that normal? That’s a ton of cables to deal with, and probably why I ran it all in line before. Do they offer a 4 ¼ cable “snake” solution to clean everything up with. I guess I could always make that cable if need be. What do you guys do? If there is the right way to do it, just set me up and I will correct everything.

Here is my new attempt:

Bass -> wireless in rack -> 5 band EQ in rack -> pedal board via ¼ cable to loop 1 (tuner -> compressor -> Sansamp DI -> back to rack via ¼ cable and in main GK1001 input. I will use the processed Sansamp output for my rig as well as hook up the PA here.

Then

FX out via ¼ cable -> pedal board loop 2 input
    -> Looper bypass -> Big Muff -> Wah pedal -> Any other time changing effect pedal that I get (chorus)-> back to EX return via ¼ cable -> out to speakercabs.

Please set me staight guys. I could really use the help.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I currently have 4 1/4" cables between my pedal board and my rack. I'm sure somebody makes a snake but I use 2 Hosa cables that have 2 1/4" cables fused together. Be sure to color code everything, this many cables can give you a headache.

As far as your signal chain and loops go, you're on the right track. Be on the lookout for noise. Patiently try different paths until you get the least hiss. If you want the board to get the fx in your loops, I think your sansamp DI has to go later or last in the chain, maybe in the 2nd loop.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    John,
    Thanks for the post. It looks like I will try and see what happens, and also move the DI to the end of the effects chain. I guess it makes sense that it needs to be the last thing before the power amp.
    I will probably make the snake then. I would like to only have one cable to the pedalboard.
    Thanks,
    Wes

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Take the Big Muff and the wah out of your FX loop. Those go best before the amp. You are right in putting your time based FX in the loop. Good boy.

Four cables back and forth is no big deal. Here's something worth trying: go to Home Depot and buy some metal tubing. Run your cables through that. It coils up nicely, and protects your cables from being destroyed by feet, falling gear, stage divers, etc. Keeps them all together too.

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I got home and tried the muff in the effects loop before I read your post. It sounded like crap, so I went ahead and put it in the input chain, and it is much better. It's really heavily distorted,and i am still trying to find a way to get some of the higher notes to sound good on it so I can actually use it. The E and A strings rock though. It kinda sounds like smashing pumkins in my basement right now. I got the muff for$50 today, so it was a good deal.
    Now I have to wire up the board with two loops.

Would you suggest me to get that true bypass I was talking about earlier?
    Later,
    Wes

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've never had to worry about bypass pedals; all mine are pretty good, to the point it's not really noticable when they are off. I wouldn't think it would be terribly necessary with only two pedals, but if the bypass sucks then it's up to you.

7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just finished wiring it up tonight. I don't notice any suck, so I might be alright. Thanks for all the help fellas.
    Wes