Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me set up my rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Notes, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Notes

Notes

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm a new bass player...I would like some advice on what I need to complete my rig setup....I have a couple of 4x10 cabinets and I want to know what I should get to get the best sound out of it. I really don't need brand names..just what type o' equipment. thanks :D

2. groundzerobass7

groundzerobass7

Nov 1, 2000
    Notes - If your a begginer get a decent pratice amp and bass theres no need to worry about getting head and cabs because no matter how much stuff you have if your a begginer you wont sound good maybe get a 50 watt pratice amp so eventually you can mike it up to the PA when your in a band.

3. Notes

Notes

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm not that much of a beginner:D...I have been playing for awhile and I do have a practice amp...I just want to kick it up to a pro level system. I have the money to spend on a good setup and I want to make sure I get the right stuff...

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I recommend you start with your cabs' power handling capacity (watts) and impedance (ohms) and work from there. But then this becomes an "AMPS" thread.

Search the "Amps" forum for "ohm" and you will get TONS of great info about matching amp power to cabinet capactity.

5. Yep, this looks like an amp question to me too...

6. Notes

Notes

Nov 3, 2000
    My bad...I thought it was "Setup for your Amp" section...:D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you want to get "the right stuff" and "a pro-level system", I'm afraid we're going to have to talk about brand names. Not every manufacturer makes what I (and some others) would call "pro-level" systems. Check what brands most pros use. I see a lot of SWR out there, maybe more than any other brand. I've seen plenty of Eden, some Walter Woods and, every now and then, a little Trace Elliot. Of course, them rocker types lean toward the Ampeg stuff. The country types seem to play a lot of Peavey. Jazz, Eden. I don't see how you can make a fully informed decision without thinking about brand.

Don't hurt me ... it's just how I feel.

8. Notes

Notes

Nov 3, 2000
    Ok...I know brand names are important...what i want to know and I should have made it more clearer...What equipment do I need? Amps, PreAmps, etc. etc.... :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, then. There are a bunch of ways to go. Three popular ones are combo, separate head and cab(s), and pre-amp with separate power amp and cabs.

Combo -

Probably the most convenient. Usually includes an amp with 15 to 600 watts of power. The one you'd want to gig with is going to weigh about 50 to 100 pounds. For a real gigging setup, you'll want one with at least 300 watts of power. While the combo itself is likely to be good for small to medium venues, you can add external cabinets for more volume, as long as you've got plenty of power in the amp. Good ones are the SWR Super Redhead, Eden Metro, and maybe the new Fender Bassman 400. There are a few others like EBS, if you've got the coin. Carvin also makes a combo with two 10's in it with a 600-watt amp. Peavey might be a good one. The Bass Combo 115 might suit your style. Avoid Yorkville, Crate and the like. For the SWR or Metro, expect to pay something like $1,300.

OK, Head and cabs -

This setup gives you a little more versatility. You can get an amp of your favorite flavor, again at least 300 watts, then mix and match cabinets. For example, I use the "poor man's Metro" ... or is it the "rich man's Metro"? ... I can never remember. It's an Eden WT-300 Traveler, with an Eden D-410XLT and a D-210XLT. That way, I can take two 10's, four 10's or six 10's to the gig. I've always had enough power with that setup, even outdoors. For big stuff outdoors I also run a direct to the PA and its big 18-inch subs. If you're going to do a lot of outdoor gigs, you probably should get a bigger amp. Eden's WT-800 flagship will work real nice for that. Of course many other quality manufacturers have comparable rigs. If you're a rocker, you might check out Ampeg. Mesa makes some cool heads, but I don't like their cabs. Maybe even play some Hartke. A lot of people (including me) seem to like the sound of those aluminum cones.

Amp, pre-amp, cabs -

Of course, if you like to lug around a whole bunch of crap so you can get "your tone" and enough volume to rip out the ear drums of the first ten rows, go this route. You can get really good preamps by folks like Aguilar, Demeter, Kern, Ampeg and, oh, before I forget, Eden. Then, buy yourself a big 1,000- to 3,500-watt power amp by Stewart, Mackie, Crown, QSC or Rogue (nyuk nyuk nyuk). Add to that half a dozen big cabs with some 18's, 15's, 12's, 10's and a couple dozen Foster horns, and you're set. Actually, if it were me, I'd get the Eden Navigator pre-amp for its fabulous EQ and other features, an Eden WT-1000 power amp, a Korg DTR-1 tuner and a Furman power regulator, then put it all in a 6-space rack. Stack that on top of an Eden D118XL, D-115XL, D-212XLT, and a D-410XLT and sure enough, you will be able to come in here with absolutely no fear of anyone putting you down over your rig.

As you might be able to tell, I'm living vicariously through YOUR GAS. Sure is a kick. Please tell me that you're going to get all that Eden stuff. Then I won't have to go out and buy it.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 11-04-2000 at 09:50 PM]