1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me settle a debate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lordziros, May 12, 2011.

1. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    i need some outside opinions on this matter.My now ex-gf is obsessed with new wave music ( and i mean obsessed she worships Gary Numan) she is convinced that regardless of the music thats popular she would be able to get this huge following fairly quickly. to go into detail her band would consist of a therimin, vocals, keyboard, and bass, and maybe and i mean MAYBE drums but only if they are electronic. so no guitar or anything. so is this feasible in the musical climate where rap owns the charts? or could it work, could it work in the US or only in England where it retains some popularity? not to mention she knows nothing about business in anyway shape or form ( didnt even take business classes in school and refuses to because she hates it)

so help me settle this debate if possible i may not be with her anymore but i dont want her throwing everything she has at this before knowing whats ahead. thanks

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think this debate will be settled when she has actually done it and either succeeded or given up on the idea.

I'd be intrigued by a format like the one she seems to propose.
    If the material is good and it is well executed...why not.

3. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I was jamming to Gary Numan this morning during my commute. He lives on XM/Sirius!

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Just don't write music that copies Gary Numan. If you write good music, you will have listeners.

As for selling millions of records or getting "signed". That dream died with the popularity of shows like American Idol and such. I don't want to get too far involved with this but it's all about what you have to offer or make marketable.

Music is secondplace unless you are just doing it for fun. Then have at it.

We are coming up on a "grunge revival" soon where people will get tired of the pop stars dominating the charts like they did in the late 80's with sickeningly sweet teenie bop hits. It won't be called grunge but it will wake up the band movement again. At least I hope, I can't stand the state of pop music for the last 10 years.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, obviously it would depend on whether she was any good -- I assume she intends to sing. There's plenty of techno-dance-pop stuff on the airwaves as near as I can tell -- Lady Gaga, Ke-dollar-ha, etc. I don't see that her proposed band would be incapable to fitting in with that whole thing. If anything, I'd say her problem is not that there would be no interest in her genre as that she'd need a hook to stand out.

There's a lot of information missing in your post -- are you in the UK? Is she talking about writing originals or is this to do covers of 80s new wave songs?

If gaining a "huge following fairly quickly" is supposed to mean becoming a big-time celebrity, that's like lightning striking no matter what genre she plays.