Help me shop smart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Hi i´m a total newbie about the amplification, so please help me out:

so i wanted to buy a combo amp (around 100 w) but i need more power than that but not too much...

So i think i could use a Bass Head and a cabinet... i made some research but i really need you help...

In your opinion, which is the best bass head that:

-is around $400 (or less)
    -has SOME power (i don´t really need much...)

in example... something like the Crate 220H is what i´m looking for... is affordable and gives me 200 w of power...

but that´s just my newbie point of view... i want to know if you can recomend me some really good Head amp for the price....

PS: any good store in Tucson AZ you can recomend? i´m going this july...
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    heads for around 400 bux:

GK 400rb (449)

hartke 2000, 3000, 3500, 4000 (299 (i think) - 499)

yorkville (somebody help me out - i know you can get one for around 400...right?)

yeah...there's the crate, but... can also get a kustom for about that much, but...

i'd seriously consider going used, but if you'd rather not, i'd go for the gallien krueger 400rb. you won't be dissappointed.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    whoa the Hartke 4000 looks nice...
    thanks... more coments are welcome
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I'd definitely look into the Hartke. Check out my review of the Crate in the reviews section. GK is another really solid name. You might perhaps be able to get some sort of deal on a used SWR Workingman's head. Though I personally don't like them much, Peavey keeps coming as well (though I have no idea what they run for prices anymore).

I guess my first choice would either be a GK or Hartke. Perhaps a used Ampeg.
  5. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    white knight is right about the peavy - i had forgotten about them. firebass or nitrobass.

an ampeg b2r can be had for about 550 or so new. heh - we keep pumping the $ up, don't we?

anyway, used will get you the most bang for your $.
  6. I assume that the prices given are American?

well I have done some research lately myself and here is what I have found to be the best deals:
    (in Canadian dollars)

yorkville 400 w rackmount head - approx $650
    SWR Workingman 2004 200 W - approx $625
    Peavey Firebass (forget info..) - aprrox $650

they are all around the same price range so I suggest try some out and see what you think.

Yorkville 4x10 -$550
    Yorkville 1x15 -$325
    Yorkville 2x10 -$325
    Workingman 4x10 -$700
    Peavey 4x10 -$650
    Peavey 2x10 -$499
    SWR gol jr. -$699
    SWR Triad -$800

These are the best prices I have found for heads and cabs. Why don't you want a combo? you can get some pretty powerful ones and can always add an extra cab later.

I don't neccessarily like all this stuff but hey it doesn't hurt to try.

hope this helps :)

Oh yeah used is good but be careful I have seen some pretty crazy rip offs, so know what you are getting before you buy.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    thanks for the warning... i´ll try to find a Hartke 4000 used or a 3000-3500 new...

i spend all day looking for info, so i´ll prepared for anything... i´ll in USA for a week or two...

but anyways i´m always lucky... i don´t know how but every time i buy something (a camera, my bass, cd´s) turns out it was the best for the price or i got it cheap and good...

hope it works now... :D

about the cabinet... i don´t have enough room in my car for it (and money too)... but i´ll buy the head there and buy the cabinet in my town... so i´ll ask you guys then... :)

thanks everyone!
  8. i just got a hartke 3500 a few weeks ago and it's great. i've heard horror stories about hartke and their reliability, but i don't see how anyone can "break" it. its like a tank.

and we play screamo, hc, etc. (LOUD vocals, guitar, drums) and the hartke can drown out alot of that so i'm always careful not to go past half. i think you'll like it.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

I was staying in Tucson over the weekend!! I went down around there to swipe a good deal from you. j/k :D I got a Carvin RC210 combo and it's 18" cabinet for $700.

You could get the Carvin R600 head for between $300 and $400 easy on ebay.

Definately check out the Carvin on their website... it's a whole lot of amp for the money.

I wouldn't usually buy a cabinet on ebay unless you are very sure about the shipping charges. Stores get good shipping rates, regular blokes do not. In the end, you are the one to pay it.

Good luck.
  10. Cabs are easy to find used. I just found 2 Carvin cabs (1x15 and 2x10 +tweeter) for a total of $300, just gotta test them, and get the $$$, and theyll be mine, hope no one finds them first!