help me simplify my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Jun 9, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm running a GK 400RB (old one) and a Crest 900V into 4 ohm 2x10 and 2x12 cabinets. I go out of the direct out of the GK into the Crest. This works pretty well but makes for a heavy rack and some power mismatches. The 700 watt 2x10 is only getting 200 watts from the GK and the 2x12 is getting 1100 watts from the Crest (bridged mono). So I'm thinking of getting a preamp to replace the GK and run 450 watts to each cabinet. I think I'll prefer more sound out the 10s and less out of the 12s to achieve similar volumes. Plus I'd like to have a foot-switchable EQ so I could go to my slap sound on the fly. My question is what would be a good, simple preamp or other device for this? I use only two basic sounds: a beefy fingerstlye sound with only a little high end, and a mid-scooped slap sound - pretty typical I guess. I'd like to keep costs down. I already have a TE dual compressor pedal but that doesn't boost the signal up to where it is loud enough straight into the Crest. For footswitchable EQ and enough gain do I need a fancy preamp? Are there rack mountable EQs that coould do this? I kind of like the idea of having 2 preset EQs that I could toggle between with a footswitch.

Thanks for your input. :)
  2. All you need is a two channel bass pre-amp. I've found my Peavey Max to be very flexible in this regard. They run around $300 or so new and slightly less used. It's got both tube and SS pre-amp sections (both with their own EQ) that are foot-switchable (pedal is optional and not included) as well as combinable. Ampeg and SWR each make two channel models as well.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    SM-900 would be an all in one solution: switchable eq and would be able to deliver 350W to each 4 ohm cab, 2 rack spaces (though definitely add a third for cooling).