1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me Slap

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lonestarwings, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I've pretty much spent the past month or so of my practice time trying to learn slap. I have a good teacher but he's been out of town for awhile so I'm trying to get some feedback before i go back and play for him. If anyone has some pointers based off these examples of my playing I'd appreciate it.

I think my main problems are clarity of my hammer ons and pull offs (really working to hit it hard with the tip of the pinky), slapping too hard on the e string and squashing the sound, and maintenance of rhythm during sixteenth notes, especially on the dead notes. Let me know if you agree with these problems.

E position

Octaves

Dead Notes

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I dug it completely!

I learned how to to play slap when I first started and didn't touch the stuff until now (8 years later). I wasn't into it then, but I was a pretty closed minded "punk" kid back then... *sigh* I've been re-teaching myself slap again recently.

My only thing, that I'm most likely wrong about, but did the dead notes ring out too much?

3. Hey you should tab these out, they would be good excerise for some beginners wanting to learn.

4. Thanks! I think my dead pops probably are ringing too much I had my j-bass setup recently and they gave me pretty low action, so it's a fine line between muting it and fretting it. Then again I haven't even gone over this with my teacher so all I have to go buy is what it sounds like on his dvd.