Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me! Soundproofing!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Nov 5, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Ok, heres the deal. My band is soundproofing our jam room, and we are doing a drop ceiling ( asecond ceiling) and I want to know what material would work better, acoustic tiles ( like they use for ceilings in schools. its pressed paper) or sheetrock? Either one is going to have insulation behind it. Or is there a better material for this?

thanks in advance.

Nakoa

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Are you only going for sound proofing or is money a big deal? Is the sheetrock going to be taped out and painted? ect. ect.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    For now, we are only going for soundproofing, and money is a deal, not a huge one, but still a burden, and no the sheet rock probably won't be painted.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    If it's no big deal just hang up used carpet.

5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    No, we have the money to buy the supplies, just not an extended amount. Carpet doesn't really accomplish much, in our experience. Plus, we want it to look good also.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    As for the sheerock will only bounce the sound around. If you sheetrock the cieling then spray with acoustic spray that will help also. It will be cheaper to sheetrock if you can do the work. The tiles will work ok too.

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    We planned on using the acoustic spray if we go with the sheetrock, but we still need more opinions before we make a decision. Thanks.

8. I used tiles in my room it can get costley it cost me about 250.00 do do a room 14 feet wide by 25feet long.. You could alo use drywall and glue cardboard egg cartons on the walls?? You could get them from local resturant.. than do tile on the ceiling..

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Attention:

Carpet and egg cartons will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for soundproofing a room. They will however make INSIDE the room sound better. To soundproof the best method is the room-inside-a-room approach. There are several websites that outline all of this, and dispel all of the egg-carton type myths. Do a search on this site (there have been previous threads) and on google and you will find plenty of info.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    oh yeah, and use drywall, not tiles. You want DENSITY in your sound proofing materials. That is the only thing that will reduce the sound heard outside of your space. Also, you want to seal the space as best as you can...tiles are not good for this.